Adjusting a Sturmey Elite AT5 hub (drum brake dual side shift chains)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Picked up a set of wheels from CeeBee at Smoop's show. SA Elite AT5 a drum brake dual chain 5 spd. Looked around and can't find anything on how to adjust it. Can someone help? Thanks

I have only seen one in my life but never adjusted one! can you post pictures please.:)

That is mechanical mayhem! Awesomeness!
I want to try that hub and the derailered 3 speed, someday!.

While researching it I found a guy stacking shimano offset cogs / derailer, and running a igh as a two speed input. Neat.

Someone help please, before I mess it up. I did already look at Sheldon Browns site as well.

when you said dual chain, I was expecting dual CHAINS!
I have seen those but never adjusted one. I would assume the right side adjusts gears 1-3 like a normal SA, and you should be able to adjust the left side in a similar manner, but it just has two speeds 4-5. Wish I could help more. Good luck.

The left side is for shifting from 5-4 and 2-1 and you adjust it in 5th gear
, there should be no tension on the cable in 5th and in 1st gear.
The right side is for gear 4-3-2 and there should be no tension on your cable in 4th gear

Try to pull the chain on the right side with your hand, if the left side is loose it should shift 5-3-1

Frank

Customize!

Latest posts

Back