Adult Tricycle Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24 inch Miami Sun tryke thats a single speed with front brakes. The drive setup is simply the chain running directly to a freewheel on the axle basically like a kids trick bike. There are "dropouts" midway on the frame to mount a coaster brake hub which would use 2 chains. QUESTION..Is the coaster hub on a tryke the 3xact thing/size from a bike wheel ? Without buying a kit can a coaster brake setup be added from standard junk bike parts? How does the second hub mounted sprocket attach? Thinking about doing tbis to mine but only if it can be done using scrap parts.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Most trike rear hubs have the second sprocket, the one that is connected by a chain to a fixed cog on the axle, attached to the flange via little bolts that thread into some of the spokeholes, which have been modified (female-threaded) to accept the l'il bolts.

Here's a Sturmey-Archer example, the TS-RC3 3 speed coaster brake:
19016.jpg

So its kinda "special" I guess. I measured a hub from a kids 20 in bike and the trike frame is wider and it wont fit.

Oh, yeah, as for the spacing, that depends on what trike you have but usually it's >110mm, but it's easy to add spacers behind the locknuts of these hubs.....

Define "standard wheel hub"....

Wth a cb, you'll need the 2nd sprocket on the flange to keep it separate from the driver so you can actuate the brake....

If you can find those flange-mounted sprockets to fit your hub's flange, or modify a cog yourself to fit, then you could use any old hub. The trike I built the other day had a standard Sturmey 3speed coaster on it, but it had the flange-mount cog on the driveside flange. I've also seen them mounted to the non-driveside flange. But this is because the axle cog tends to be fixed. If yours has threads for a freewheel on the axle, then you could run a double cog on whatever hub you want (so long as it fits)....but without the fixed cog on the axle, the c/b won't kick in.....it'll just keep rolling b/c the axle will freewheel rather than lock up and make the rear wheels stop....

If you have 2 cogs on the hub's driver and a fixed cog on the axle, with a CB, you'll need to fight the forward momentum of the fixed gearset before you can engage the coaster brake, which means you'll need to stop the wheels with your legs before you can brake....but at that point, you'll already be stopped.

Long story short--- with a coaster brake set up, you need to mount the sprocket that connects the "gearbox" hub to the axle cog to the flanges. If you're setting up a freewheeling transmission, any double-cog set up will work, but then you'll need to figure out brakes....

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I better keep what I have front barakes only and be happy. I want to find a coaster brake tryke like a Desoto .

Latest posts

Back