Advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm thinking about a couple of bikes but not sure about the worth.

First: Early 1950's Phantom; black in color. TOTAL basket case, but missing chain, handle bars and tubes/tires - seat covering is also not present. Some rust, dude told me he thought some parts needed rechroming, but not sure they might clean up with a wire wheel. He wants $450

Second: 1965 Schwinn American. I think this one is totally original. Dude said there were some spokes missing/broken but that the bike still rides fine (tires are getting bad he said). It's got some sun fade on the top tube of that funky coppertone paint which I think is a cool color. He wants $100

Thoughts? Cant get both (Napolean aka wife wont allow it) but wifey needs a cruiser. They are different sellers and the phantom is about 4-5 hrs from the house. Schwinn American is MUCH closer to the house. Sock it to me!!!

for the cost .. coppertone is a better deal .. easy to get or find parts for ... phantom is missing lots.. and needs
restored from the sounds of it... it can take a while to hunt up all them parts if you want to do it correct
if you can get the coppertone for 80 its a really good buy .. and there is enought room for 2.125 tires if you
want to ride it...

I did a '52 Phantom from a bare frame/fork I bought for around $100.

It was a bank-breaker even to get it to something we could ride. We did the chainguard paint, got a new repro rack, repro truss rods, a seat that looked sort of correct, repro fenders, WW tires, 90's Schwinn cruiser tank, decal set, a million odds and ends and though it looked cool, I knew it wasn't correct in a lot of ways.

Get something which you can ride downtown, look cool, don't have a lot of $$$ tied up in it, throw a basket on in and a modern light set so it's an all purpose all weather sort of bike. Do the new tires, tubes, grease, chain, maybe the seat if it needs to be more comfortable.

You'll have $150 into it and won't pull your hair out if it gets stolen or rained on.

Fills the bill like my Collegiates... they're cool looking city bikes but I don't have a lot of cash invested.

Have fun! And post the pics!

--Rob

Well, that settles it. The Schwinn American it is. I talked to the Phantom guy and he's about 4-5 hrs from me, so that was a HUGE factor as what happens if I drive all the way down to see it and its not what he said it was. Also, the fenders and wheels were aftermarket from about 25 yrs ago. The coppertone is en route to my house from work - so that'll pretty much seal the deal for me.

thanks again fro the assistance.

TOMCAT

Back