Afordable 80s BMX?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is it even a question I can ask? I bought an 80s Mongoose Stylist with OGK mags quite a while back, it had some frame damage and repairs are noticeable. I just want an 80s BMX frame not in chrome, nothing special just something I can paint, put my parts on and ride, eBay is not where to look, nothing showing up local, who has a plan? I'm thinking a wanted ad...

look at the mid 80's Schwinns, made by Giant, they are sweet bikes but dont get much love from the collectors so they aren't stupidly expensive.

I had an 84 predator frame I couldnt give away ... until the neighbor kids cousin from out of town came to visit ... other than that though - nobody.

I also saw where Eddie Fiola is making his own EF Proformer bike :D likely to be spendy though :cry:

I'll keep my eyes open for Schwinns, to bad they get mixed in with all the new Schwinn garbage in a search... I guess that's why they call it a search, not a find.

I've seen Dyno Compes and D-Tours go pretty cheap, which is weird to me because they are as nice as a GT Performer. There is also the Vertigo ST which looks almost identical to the GT performer, except no speed holes in the dropouts and the rear triangle is steel, not CrMo. This makes them less collectible.

I've got a late 90s Dyno Compe, chrome with red decals and red anodized wheels, and will be getting an almost identical one for $20, but I want something a little older and not chrome for these wheels I have.

Keep the ideas coming.

You should have been at the Mount Airy show a couple of years ago. My friend sold his Haro, 85 -87, can't remember the year. Only thing not OG was tires. Freestyler, not too much chrome and had white mags. Beautiful bike, I was with him when he bought it. I stupidly turned it down for $20 basically so he could have it. I thought he'd keep it and enjoy it. Instead he let it go for $150. Probably at least a $400 ride. Group 1 stem and tons of other rare stuff. Last time I make that mistake. That bike has already changed hanged hands twice more, and each person has made a good profit. I sold my DB framesets for pocket change. Mike Dominguez cool streak and Woody Itson Hot streak, both sold for less than $100 each. I've made a few poor decisions :lol:

I paid $13 for the MD, and $8 for the Woody. Both were at least 90% correct and original, I think tires were the only change. I haven't seen deals like that in the last 3 years though

Is a 91 redline Rl 320 to new? Its ruff and has a dent in the top tube, if its something you would be interested in I will take some pics.

Maybe, you never know.

I was just given 2 Haros tonight, both late 90s, a Zippo and a 540air Dave Mirra... why can't I find old stuff?

haros.jpg

Wasn't there an 87 Blue Mongoose FF for sale some where around here not too long ago...seems like I remember seeing that 8) 8) followed closely by :roll:

Smoopy's said:
yoothgeye said:
I wish people would give me late 90's haros..espcially the Mirra...what kinda frame you wanting bud..maybe we can work a trade

Now I've got 2 Haro Mirras, the blue on on the car above and this white one that is left hand drive:

IMG_4281.jpg

All I'm looking for is a non chrome 80s BMX name brand, but nothing collectable. Something with a frame stand design or looptail would be awesome.

Ha! I have that pic on my desktop!! I found that ad searching white Cali's a while back! In parts, as weird as it sounds, it would probably add up to that much but complete, maybe 300. IMO

That is a pretty bike, but I already have wheels, tires, chain, brakes, stem, bars, grips, pedals, crank, chopsaw, post, clamp, seat, etc... All I need is something to bolt all that stuff onto.

I have an 80's Schwinn Predator complete minus the wheels. All the Predator goodness still there, just no wheels. It's white with the only chrome being the handlebars. Feel like parting with that Zippo? :D

plankowner said:
I have an 80's Schwinn Predator complete minus the wheels. All the Predator goodness still there, just no wheels. It's white with the only chrome being the handlebars. Feel like parting with that Zippo? :D

You know where I live... the Zippo is the prettiest bike! haha

yoothgeye said:
plankowner said:

Let me get some good photos of the Predator after work today and I'll send you some. Normally, I'd keep her but I have 4 sitting in the garage right now, 2 of which are white. I'll be in touch!

plankowner said:
yoothgeye said:
plankowner said:

Let me get some good photos of the Predator after work today and I'll send you some. Normally, I'd keep her but I have 4 sitting in the garage right now, 2 of which are white. I'll be in touch!

I'll be in Colonial Heights on the 26th... just sayin'.

Back