Sting Ray lovers finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these today at a local yard sale for $40. The Schwinn is a Riverside and needs the rear wheel replaced or rebuilt. Mountain bike is a Diamondback.
20221020_164906.jpg
What ideas do y'all have?

Both bikes look barely used. The derailleur is missing and the rear wheel has a broken spoke on the cruiser. That's probably what happened to it, the derailleur got caught in the spokes. You could fix the wheel and get a new derailleur, or get a one speed rear wheel. Maybe sell the Diamondback, which looks good, to help pay for the cruiser.

I am thinking about using the rear wheel and maybe the derailleur of the pink bike on the Riverside. I only have $40 in both and still have all the parts.

The gears on the pink bike might not attach to the Schwinn frame, but the wheel looks the same. You could just do like we did way back when when our old 10 speeds were worn out. We shortened the chain and just used one of the cogs on the cluster. Easy and low cost.

I will find out tomorrow. The fenders on the Schwinn have faded to flat black, they make them so cheap these days. I will take them off and paint them then see if the wheel will fit.

No it was just bent a little.
I just put reading glasses on for the zoom-in and can see it now.

You'll probably be able to swap wheels and derailleur over onto the cruiser if the dropouts are spaced similarly. You could make it stay cruiser style, build it klunk style, or BMX style if you want. If the frame fabrication looks solid and you want to ride it in the dirt, you could probably put some trailworthy parts on it to make it safer for that.

Riverside 1.0! Swapped the wheels from the Diamondback. Cleaned it up a little. Painted the fenders with some Dupli-color Orange Metalcast Went to a local sporting goods store and got a Shimano Altus derailleur for $18 bucks. 3 hours later "Out for a spin". It cleaned up pretty good and rides great and should be a fun bike to cruise around on. I'm thinking about those Diamondback forks.....
20221023_163440(1).jpg

I just put reading glasses on for the zoom-in and can see it now.

You'll probably be able to swap wheels and derailleur over onto the cruiser if the dropouts are spaced similarly. You could make it stay cruiser style, build it klunk style, or BMX style if you want. If the frame fabrication looks solid and you want to ride it in the dirt, you could probably put some trailworthy parts on it to make it safer for that.
My Mom won't let me play in the dirt.😂
I'll be lucky if my old self can ride it around the neighborhood.

Asking $299. Let me know if I should jump on it.View attachment 216793
Put it this way in my country the seller would most likely put an extra 9 at the end of that price, a rare beauty over here more realistic price would be may be upwards of a $1000, seems like a good deal even in your neck of the woods, investment strategy me thinks

It’s lovely. I would definitely buy it if you like that style. Hard to see if it’s worth it condition wise, from a photograph, but if you like the style enough then you’ll be willing to put up with certain things.

Looks to be in really good condition so worth the asking price. Not a steal by any means but a good investment.

Personally I rarely ever buy a bike like this complete and in good condition unless it's cheap. I prefer to build them myself. That's half the fun of vintage bikes is building them and obsessing over every detail. I also love hunting out the deal. Those owners who have no idea what they have. The deals that everyone wishes they could have. Like $80 1968 stingrays, $60 Schwinn Fastback, $200 Mini Twinns, $40 Hutch Judge, $10 80's Schwinn Predator, and many more. Then restore them and show them off and say "I built that". Also when you're only a few bucks into a high end bike you have less of a mind to sell it unless you want to and you can afford to wait for the right buyer.

Latest posts

Back