SWB0 After thought

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've wanted to update this Specialized Sirus for a few years now. And happened to spot it at the back of the shed when I pulled out a Trek MTB. so I figured I'd start that upgrade. This will be secondary to my ORBO build. Not planning any modifications, just mechanical updates and maybe paint.
IMG_20240101_161906190.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've wanted to update this Specialized Sirus for a few years now. And happened to spot it at the back of the shed when I pulled out a Trek MTB. so I figured I'd start that upgrade. This will be secondary to my ORBO build. Not planning any modifications, just mechanical updates and maybe paint.View attachment 255463
Looks like a pretty straightforward build! What kind of mechanical updates do you have in mind?

Got the new wheels and tires on it to see how they look before I take the whole thing apart. I've decided to paint it, but still deciding on color or colors. This was my daily rider 7 months a year for 4 years. Rode 12 miles one way to work 5 days a week rain or shine and more miles per day on the weekends. It was locked up outside in the elements for those same 7 months. It has been hanging in the back of the shed for 3 years and the front derailer is locked up rear derailer is banged up and the brake cables are not quite rusted in place, but close to it. So I'll be replacing and /or upgrading everything.
IMG_20240201_132900620.jpg

I've been riding vintage bikes for about 7 months and an electric bike for 3 years year round. I forgot how light this bike is. And it will be lighter still when I'm done.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about the paint for this one. I'm leaning towards a bright multi-color scheme kind of a throwback to some of the vintage road or track bikes. Kinda burned out on the flat or matte black. Haven't found one that has jumped out at me yet, but still looking.

A few examples I've come across. May end up doing a mix and match from a couple of these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240202-062947.png
    Screenshot_20240202-062947.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240202-062947~2.png
    Screenshot_20240202-062947~2.png
    531.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240202-062842.png
    Screenshot_20240202-062842.png
    459.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240202-062906.png
    Screenshot_20240202-062906.png
    389.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Got the new wheels and tires on it to see how they look before I take the whole thing apart. I've decided to paint it, but still deciding on color or colors. This was my daily rider 7 months a year for 4 years. Rode 12 miles one way to work 5 days a week rain or shine and more miles per day on the weekends. It was locked up outside in the elements for those same 7 months. It has been hanging in the back of the shed for 3 years and the front derailer is locked up rear derailer is banged up and the brake cables are not quite rusted in place, but close to it. So I'll be replacing and /or upgrading everything.
View attachment 257964
I've been riding vintage bikes for about 7 months and an electric bike for 3 years year round. I forgot how light this bike is. And it will be lighter still when I'm done.
I can imagine you feeling ultra fit when cycling that much.
Did you have the opportunity to change clothes and even shower at your work?

View attachment 257964
I've been doing this for over 10 years now 12 months a year 5 days a week rain shine snow and cold amazing way to stay in shape

I've been doing this for over 10 years now 12 months a year 5 days a week rain shine snow and cold amazing way to stay in shape
That's awesome. And it's helped me drop and keep off 135lbs and after the 1st 3 months I no longer needed the blood pressure medication I had been on. Added bonus. Over the last 2 summers folks in the small town I'm in now have seen me all over the place on my bike and decided to dust their bikes off and ride around town instead of the car or their golf carts. 3 years ago I was the only adult on a bike, now there are about a dozen that ride in the summer regularly and the small local bike shop has been tuning up old bikes for people and selling more then he had been in the past. It's been pretty interesting to see.

Last edited:
Do feel better. And the old job that was 12 miles away I would shower at work. The new job is only a mile away at a gas station so I don't show up needing a shower.
That is awesome!
Before 2019, and before our first kid was born, I cycled every day to my job, it is about 12km (7,5 miles). 5 days a week.
The first months were pretty hard, but after a while you get really strong.
I hit averages of about 30km/hr (18,64 mph) on a wind free day on my singlespeed. Wow that was quite the time. I had a similar bicycle like yours, just with a shimano coasterbrake.

At this moment I cycle 2 to 3 times to work, the rest of the days I can work from home :thumbsup:

Sorry for the hijack there, but I can imagine the memories with that bike.

People commuting from- and to their work by bicycle is more rare in the US of A than here in the Netherlands I am guessing.

I've been thinking about the paint for this one. I'm leaning towards a bright multi-color scheme kind of a throwback to some of the vintage road or track bikes. Kinda burned out on the flat or matte black. Haven't found one that has jumped out at me yet, but still looking.

A few examples I've come across. May end up doing a mix and match from a couple of these.
Awesome examples!
If you needed more tips; checkout 'Squidbikes' on instagram or here: Squidbikes
They have quite some cool paints for inspiration!

The new carbon fiber handlebars are on the way. Decided to replace the hybrid flat bar with a drop bar. Next items on the list are a new shifters for the new style bar. Outside possibility of old school down tube shifters or even a stem shifter. I've got both that are new old stock. But most likely I'll just go with new modern trigger shifters for this type bar. I suppose bar end shifters are another way to go, just not sure how practical they would be for me. After that decision is made I'll be looking at stems, seats and seat posts.

Anyway, these are the new bars.
Screenshot_20240208-205056.png

As I make this bike lighter I may have to get rid of my bike locks and just get an anchor.

Finally was able to spend a bit of time dismantling the bike. And my new extra fancy drop bars came in yesterday. Couldn't believe how little they weigh. The bubble wrap in the box weighed more.
Screenshot_20240223-201208.png

Got everything removed without mishap. 5 years of riding it year round especially in the winter, all the cables were rusted and the components themselves are pretty beat up. Got hit by 3 cars in that 5 years and replaced the wheels each time, but didn't have to do much other then readjust the derailers or bars etc. , but they are scratched and gouged up. Both crank arms are bent and the peddles are about 3/4" narrower then when new. So I'm on the hunt for component upgrades across the board.
IMG_20240224_052028796.jpg

IMG_20240224_051921614.jpg

Last edited:
Decided on a color scheme I'm going to match the frame, stem wheels and fork to the new handlebars. Bright red gloss and black gloss with white pinstripes and accents. A neighbor does powder coating at his work and he's going to let me know when I can bring everything in and he's going to show me how it's done.

The seats arrived today. I'm still amazed at how light carbon fiber is. The heaviest seat is the black, red and blue at 201gm, the white is at 180gm, and the gray is at 151gm. All 3 together are lighter then the original seat. Just replacing the seat, bars and wheels have knocked a lot of weight off an already light weight bike. The stem and seat post are next.

Uh oh, someone is discovering the addictive properties of lightness. Beware, "weight weenie-ism" gets expensive.View attachment 259630View attachment 259629
I'm not there yet. Still way too cheap for that. I got them from a Goodwill online auction. And too vane. I'm going with the heaviest one because it's the prettiest one. Lol.
The other two seats are going up for sale to hopefully help offset the cost of the other parts I need for the build.

Last edited:
Back