Agent Orange

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always like to see and admire the mock-ups and downs.....good creativity is spontaneously simple at times and many times...elusive....stay after it!

Always like to see and admire the mock-ups and downs.....good creativity is spontaneously simple at times and many times...elusive....stay after it!
Thanks DoubleL, I'm kind of in a holding pattern until my parts show up. It's a 3 day weekend so maybe I'll get the front fender in primer and the rear fender mounted.

Three day weekend and I did absolutely nothing on the bike. Well, I tried to mount the rear fender but without the springer here yet I couldn't judge the height I needed it. Mowed the lawn and went to a couple car shows was the extent of the weekend. Parts will start coming in tomorrow so I'll be on a mad dash to finish this bike.

On a good note, I did manage to line up a paint booth at my buddies shop so you'll start seeing some pieces being painted soon, like the tank and front fender.

After getting screwed by a certain so-called bike company on Amazon, I went somewhere else to get my parts. After 3 1/2 weeks I finally got some parts. Not all of them but enough to keep me going. I really needed the springer so I can set the bike height in order to mount the rear fender. Looks like I know what I'll be doing for the next few nights.

I'm building this in my living room since it's air conditioned, plus I needed more room to mount the fender.

Went for a quick test ride saturday night around 9 pm. It sucked!! That new springer, that I waited 3 weeks for, doesn't seat properly on the gooseneck so I can't tighten it down all the way, plus, as soon as I sit on the bike it lowers another inch which makes my pedals 1/2 inch off the ground. My stock springer doesn't drop down like this one, I think it's because the weight is more out front instead of straight down. Anyway, I went back to the stock springer which raised the ride height up 3 inches, took her for another ride and... Yowza!! Sweet ride!! I can also go back to my longer 6 1/2 inch cranks too.

After all that excitement, I realized that I already fiberglassed all the brackets to the inside of the rear fender so I can mount it on the bike frame. Now that the bike sits 3 inch higher, where I have the brackets mounted, it make the fender sit about 4 inches off the ground. CRAP!!! Way too high, ruins the looks of a lead sled being too high. Now I have to cut off all the brackets, make new ones, then re-fiberglass them to the inside. It's getting late in the game to keep heading back to the drawing board. I forgot my phone cord at home so I couldn't post pix, maybe tomorrow.

Think about making one fork out of the 2. Possibley using the steer tube (for stem issue) and spring (for sag issue).Or go to the hardware or bolt store and find a stiffer spring to eliminate that sag. I have had to do this on my springers due to my portly stature.

Tim

You could always put a pipe sleeve inside of the spring to basically disable the springer action. I know some guys have done that in the past with other springers.

You could always put a pipe sleeve inside of the spring to basically disable the springer action. I know some guys have done that in the past with other springers.
I actually thought of that too. It's a great idea but for some reason the springer doesn't actually fit. It looks just like my other cheap springer but there is just something different about it. Another Chinese made POS!!

I actually thought of that too. It's a great idea but for some reason the springer doesn't actually fit. It looks just like my other cheap springer but there is just something different about it. Another Chinese made POS!!
Had the same problem when mocking up my leaf spring front end. I used an old pair until the new one came in. It was slightly different.....:headbang:

The air ride bike I built used one of those bent springers, the way I got around the sag was to take a piece of air hose and put it inside the spring. When the fork sags it compresses the rubber hose but still leaves some suspension working. Try that, I'm sure you'll be happy with the action. The bent springer does take a while to get used to all that negative camber/rake but they look great.

:20: Keep hanging in there.
It would be great if it all comes together by the 3rd.
This just reminds us how much we can appreciate it if we have a LBS close when time limitations are involved.
However there are a lot of people out here who will still be looking on and admiring your result whenever you can get it done to suit your vision.
The frenched tail light is a good reminder of how many ideas and ways of doing things can be applied to bikes.

:20: Keep hanging in there.
It would be great if it all comes together by the 3rd.
This just reminds us how much we can appreciate it if we have a LBS close when time limitations are involved.
However there are a lot of people out here who will still be looking on and admiring your result whenever you can get it done to suit your vision.
The frenched tail light is a good reminder of how many ideas and ways of doing things can be applied to bikes.
Thanks for the encouragement Dave, I'll have the bike done but there is no way it'll be painted in time. I planed on 2 weeks just for the paint so I'm going to be unfinished by the 3rd. It sucks!! I did learn a lesson though, for the next build off, and I will be in the next one, I'll have all my parts first instead of ordering them during the build. I lost 3 1/2 weeks just waiting on parts. :headbang: Plus, because this bike will be in grey primer, the name doesn't fit anymore, Agent Grey Primer sounds dumb. After the 3rd I'll move this post to the Builds thread so everyone can see it fully painted. I'm disappointed in myself, I'm usually way more organized than this.:(

Latest posts

Back