AGENT ORANGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm back at it again! I'm excited too. For those of you that were following Agent Orange in last years BONINE, you'll now be able to finally see it finished. Instead of just moving the old thread over to here I'm just going to re-do it for people that haven't seen it yet. (This way you can just skip past all those old replies) Thanks for being patient with me.

Here is the original thread. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/agent-orange.83278/

Last edited:
First things first, I needed to widen the rear fender in the front about 4 inches so it will enclose the rear of the frame. I found the center line and taped it off before cutting it.

Trust me, it's kind of nerve racking cutting a perfectly good fender in two.

Making a wooden buck to mount the fender to so I can re-fiberglass it with the extra 4 inches.

Here's the front.

and here's the rear. If you notice, the rear is going to stay the stock width.

Getting it all mounted up.

This pic shows how I'm putting a wedge shape to the fender.

Sanding down the gelcoat so the new glass will stick.

Now, I'm filling the gap with plaster so I can shape it to what I want the fender to look like.

Sanding the plaster.

Sanding is all done. You can really see the wedge shape now.

I taped off the plaster so I can use high gloss house paint to cover the plaster. This is so the fiberglass does not stick to the plaster.

First two coats of fiberglass are done.

Taking a break, time to go get muddy.

Last edited:
This is why I used the high gloss house paint on the plaster. It just broke off the glass and the paint pealed right off too.

That light strip down the center is the new glass.

Last edited:
Now it is time to figure out how low I can make the rear fender. I thought I was going to use this 26" rim and tire, but after getting the fender as low as I could, it still sat too high off the ground.

So I had this 24" wheel but the tire was too tall and fat but it did lower the fender another inch.

So, I jumped on Amazon and ordered a smaller 24" tire which I'll show later.

I want to incorporate this '59 Caddi tail light so I'll need to french that into the fender some how.

But first, I needed to go from a 12 volt light to something I can run using AA batteries and an LED bulb. So after a trip to the electronics store it was time for the re-wire.

That little LED is bright!! :cool2:

Great!! I have wondered what happened to this build! I was following it from the beginning, now it will be awesome to see it get finished.

Before I french the tail light I wanted to finish up the tank I made. I used one inch blue dense styrofoam, glued many stacks together, then started forming it to the shape I wanted. After I got the shape, I covered it with 'bondo' re-sanded smooth then put a coat of house paint on it before I started glassing it.

Last edited:
Glad you are picking the ball back up on this one!

Cutting out the pieces I needed. It's much easier to have all the pieces precut before you start mixing the resin. I also write on the glass where it goes and what layer it is so I don't have to try and figure it out before the resin sets up.

After the first coat.

I found this old sign laying around and it just so happens to be the same shape as the tank. So I mounted it to a board and it made the rest of the fiberglass job much easier.

After 3 coats of glass.

Back