Air Brush Help...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to start painting my bikes. A friend at work restores Wheel Horse tractors and he uses a Badger #150 air brush to paint parts. And they come out very well...However, it has been suggested to me that I'd be "better off" using an automotive hvlp touch-up gun...? However, I like the idea of being able to REALLY touch-up small nicks and dings, which I don't think a automotive touch-up gun could do...as well as paint a frame..."Why bother with all that and just use rattle cans?" You might say...Well, for one, I'd like to use laquer based paint as opposed to enamel (I love candy finishes!). And I'd like to try doing restoration touch-up. I also think it would be cool to try my hand at painting flames, fades, etc...Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

i got the same advice from an airbrush artist when i asked if an airbrush would be good for painting bikes - get a small automotive gun.

Harbor Freight has some inexpensive airbrushes that might give you a feel for what a very basic airbrush can do without spending a lot of money.

I bought a couple of the Harbor Frieght brushes a while back. There fun to mess around with but they only have 2 settings, on or off so you can't do as much as a real airbrush.

If you're going to paint an entire frame, then the detail gun. I've got an airbrush and I've painted a bike with it, but it is a lot of work. Not that it can't be done and done well, but sorta like painting a room with a 6" roller. The extra work makes for extra opportunities to screw something up.

The main advantage is you can use real paint instead of the stuff in the rattle can.

Thanks everybody! I have to edit my initial post...I said I'd like to use laquer based paint...I meant to say URATHANE... :oops: I can buy an automotive touch-up gun for like, $40...I just might try it... :mrgreen:

Good you got it straight X I was gonna comment on that lacquer thing, you can't use that anymore... it's urethane or check out at eastwood.com their new paints, they are just fill and shoot no mixing needed.

Get a small spraygun like the ones used to paint doorjambs in cars you can paint a whole lot better with that a whole frame, fenders, etc. I've had for years a Paasche dual action airbrush that I used to detail my RRBBD04 bike, but I would never think of using it to paint a whole bike. Or you meant scale model bikes? lol For custom graphics yes, the airbrush is the only way to go because it enables paint and pressure control for fine details and fading (assuming you know how to mask properly and layering).

you still can get lacquer paints and use them........it just depends on state and county laws is all....
when i was in chico i couldnt get it there but could get it in orland(this was 10 years ago so it might be illegal there now)......

Thanks again! I can borrow a DeVilbiss GTI hvlp gun. It has the large cup (pint?) and a 2000 (?) spray tip/nozzle...I tought I might play around with it... :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back