Airman ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I was able to trade an unwanted mountain bike and an old BMX bike that nobody wanted because it was rusty for this. The headbadge says Airman down the middle of an airplane. It has already been spray painted which is perfect for my first true rat rod project.

100_0001-1.jpg

100_0003-2.jpg

Those look good fixed up. Here is mine Monark badged with a Columbia fork:

IMG_0544.jpg

Take some steel wool and wd-40 to a small spot on the frame. The last three vintage bikes I got that were spray painted still had the original paint underneath. You never know

dogdart said:
Your Airman is a Monark built bike . Airman was sold by Spiegel , the catalog store .

The headbadge says spiegel across the bottom. I was tring to get rid of the mountain bike for a while and I couldnt even give the bmx bike away so when this offer came through for both, I jumped on it. I didnt really know anything about it other than it was spray painted already which made me think of a rat rod project. I dont care to strip original paint no matter how bad it is but since this bike was already changed, that feeling is gone and its time to customize. Im not going to touch it until my build off bike is done and thats taking me forever as I continue to search for parts for it.

MrNemo said:
Take some steel wool and wd-40 to a small spot on the frame. The last three vintage bikes I got that were spray painted still had the original paint underneath. You never know

+1 original paint preserved by some kids spray bomb would be awesome.

I tried an sos pad, there is no paint or primer under this paint, looks like it was stripped completely and then just painted, poorly painted. But what the heck, its a rat bike and someday it will be redone.

dogdart said:
Here's a pic of my Airman , it's a mutt , built from several Monarks :wink:

Thats pretty cool, might be pretty much how mine turns out. I really dont have a place to paint anything. I have a garage but really cant paint out there. Do you have a tank, springer, fenderlite, and chainring available? All the important stuff mine is missing. Or it may end up like one of the original mountain bikes from the 70's, dont know yet.

This bike turned out to be way more than I can handle. I have no place to paint or sand parts, I ended up trading it to aurorarandy for a nice newer cruiser that I can ride now. He is going to use it for his buildoff #6 bike.

Back