"ALBERT" - Done, with pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm doing this one for a lady I work with (Joan). I saw it leaned up against a fence near her office and inquired about it. I thought maybe I could get it from her real cheap. She began to tell me the story... It was her dads bike (Albert) back in the early 60's and she could recall riding it trough the family almond orchards. This bike has been very sentimental to her so she's kept it all these years. She said she gave it to a friend ten years ago to restore for her.... and he just recently gave it back to her, saying "sorry, I never got around to it." Well, she was heartbroken to say the least. All I could say was, "I'll restore it for you, no worries." I think she almost cried, then could hardly contain her excitement as we discussed color choices and parts etc. Hope to have it done for her in less than ten years! :)

I believe this is a department store off brand probably made soon after the Schwinn patent on the canti frame ran out. Its really not in too bad of condition. Some surface rust. That seat HAS to go. Will need some welding on fender mount areas, and some rear fender love as well. Someone along the line added the flying heart skip tooth and double drop center rear wheel (with Morrow hub)! We discussed changing things over to a conventional chain, so its going to get a star sprocket and a modern chrome rear coaster wheel. The front chrome drop center wheel has a Wald hub, and it'll clean up like new.
CIMG2140r.jpg

CIMG2150.jpg

I think I can clean this wheel up and rebuild the hub, and put it on the shelf. :)
CIMG2146r.jpg

CIMG2143r.jpg

Already have a seat for it (thanks "fuzzyktu"). The vinyl is in perfect shape, and the pan will get painted black.
f18564b6.jpg

91c54580.jpg

CIMG2148r_2.jpg

Also had "Jezusjones" make a head badge for it. This will be a surprise for Joan.
d48c479f.jpg

Got all the parts into bare metal and will mock it all up.
CIMG2152r_2.jpg

CIMG2156r_2.jpg

Re: "ALBERT" - unknown canti build

Oh ya, The old tires had some cracking but would be nice for a rat, lots of tread left. Carlisle Zephur 26x1.95.. if someone wants them for a good price, let me know.

Great story and very nice of you.

Too bad some new versions of the pleated seats are not available.

"ALBERT" - unknown canti build

Its been a little while but I've made good progress on this one. I disassembled the Wagner pedals and bead blasted & painted all the parts. These pedals were very top quality (to me). The way they're made makes them totally rebuildable. The shaft is threaded and had a screw on cone similar to a bottom bracket to hold & adjust the bearings in place. I haven't taken apart too many pedals, but I hope to find more sets like these.

Funny little story... I placed all 40 ball bearings in a small cup (paint can lid) and I "attempted" to pour some thinner into the cup to soak/clean them. Well my clumsy butt knocked the cup over and all 40 bearings scattered across the shop floor!! A couple of "selective words" later and my buddy and I were on our hands and knees with flashlights and magnets searching for 40 little bearings!! I just knew we wouldn't find them all and I'd be heading to the LBS hoping they'd have some. After we exhausted our search, I carefully counted what we had found..... 42 bearings all the same size!!! HAHAHA!! How does that happen?! Must have been karma paying me back for something!

9a1a228e.jpg

Frame, forks, chain guard and bars painted! It's a 99 Toyota Tacoma dark green metallic with an almond two tone. The fenders still need some body work and will get painted this week.

58191195.jpg

1d4eff43.jpg

0402b718.jpg

9b18e2d9.jpg

Looking good so far. She's going to love it.
I have to do the same pedal rebuild soon so I'll watch the bearing cup. Guarantee I knock it over anyway :lol:
Keep up the good work!

Wow, great transformation so far! :D The paint looks great :wink:

Re:

Critter1 said:
Funny little story... I placed all 40 ball bearings in a small cup (paint can lid) and I "attempted" to pour some thinner into the cup to soak/clean them. Well my clumsy butt knocked the cup over and all 40 bearings scattered across the shop floor!! A couple of "selective words" later and my buddy and I were on our hands and knees with flashlights and magnets searching for 40 little bearings!! I just knew we wouldn't find them all and I'd be heading to the LBS hoping they'd have some. After we exhausted our search, I carefully counted what we had found..... 42 bearings all the same size!!! HAHAHA!! How does that happen?! Must have been karma paying me back for something!

Wierd... I had the same thing happen and I came up two short. You don't suppose they rolled all the way to your house do you? :D

I realized this project needed a set of truss rods. Not having any 26 inchers on hand, but knowing I had a parts bin with random bits in it, I did a little digging.

I had this spare truss rod set up for a rat trap springer from my Firestone build. I used the 90 degree rods on the left of this pic as my base. It hurt a little to cut them up but at least I repurposed them for the same function...
CIMG1813r.jpg

They were this much too short...
97035a74.jpg

..so I cut up this one for two 8" filler pieces
f0aa6789.jpg

Nice fit! I like to use angle iron to line up anything round that needs welded together. Works good for head tubes too.
9a313221.jpg

Ground the edges for good weld penetration.
298f6eae.jpg

In the bottom of the bin I found this piece from a Colson (I think). For a minute I pondered different ways to attach the rods to it but my brain started to hurt... so welding them in was the quickest and easiest solution.
7e3e2d24.jpg

11d3017f.jpg

I think they came out pretty good, don't you?
8a230ea1.jpg

On the plus side.. With the axle attachment ends that I cut off and didn't use, I now have spare parts to make two more truss rod sets.

Apologies for the close up cell phone pics. I'll have full size pics of the bike and details once it's 100% complete.

Head badge mounted.
01d7c7be.jpg

Restored Wagner pedals.
19d1dc79.jpg

I had decals made for the chain guard - Burwood Ranch. It was the name of the almond orchards where the bike spent its life.
af37c100.jpg

If your feeling creative and need some lettering done in vinyl, check out doityourselflettering.com they have hundreds of fonts with several different options and a quick turn around time.

Re: "ALBERT" - truss rod fab

The bike is shaping up nicely! Great detail work!
Thanks for the lettering link. Looking forward to seeing the whole bike.

I finally got the fenders done and all buffed out. This metallic green is really nice! It has lots of pearl in it so it looks amazing out in the sun. This was a fun straight forward build. I think Joan will have years of smiles on this bike. Here are some pics..

Before and after pretty much says it all..
CIMG2140r.jpg

CIMG2417.jpg

CIMG2420.jpg

CIMG2427.jpg

CIMG2426.jpg

CIMG2423.jpg

CIMG2424.jpg

CIMG2425.jpg

CIMG2421.jpg

CIMG2418.jpg

Latest posts

Back