TRADITIONAL All American Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa!!! That's brutal man!
Glad no one was hurt, but that's serious damage to both car and bikes.
Good luck!

Me too. My wife walks there 50x a day going to feed the birds, hang laundry, take stuff to the compost bin, yard work, etc. Most tree damage is during high winds or storms. This was due to a wet spring that got the tree growing like mad, water for the huge ant colony chewing it out from the insides. Just fell mid morning with no wind. She had walked under that tree 10 times that morning. The broken off branch was cut up and there was some rot where it broke and endless big ants. That was one tree that didn't get completely destroyed by the August 2020 Derecho that took out 1M trees in town. This was behind the house that shielded it from the 140mph winds. Messaged a tree service to take the big remaining limbs off. I can do the rest.

Van was totaled by the insurance company and towed away. The other big limb on the tree cut off. Tree branches and leaves mostly cut up now. We were going to chain saw everything today but only 1 of the 4 chain saws would run and it was electric so only worked for 20 minutes or so before the batteries needed charging.

So it's time I picked a bike.
Blue. 1978 April frame, May 2 assembly date.
The frame is bent a bit. I think it was bent before the tree landed on the herd of Varsities. It didn't have wheels so it was sitting lower than the rest. String method showed one stay was in, measured at the seat post 4 mm diff. Its real easy to bend the other stay to match. Lay the frame sideways on the floor and gently stand on it. I had a wheel ready for some other project so I used it for a test fit. Perfect fit for the coaster brake hub without spacers. 59mm of space at the tire. The tires are labeled 26 x 2.125 (559 x 59) but there is plenty of room. Not nearly as wide as 2.125 would suggest. Looks like 4 to 5 mm room on either side so the tire is closer to 1.9". Cable guides cut down a bit. I may go over the rest with the angle grinder. The paint is poor and most of the decals are gone. The dealer sticker is badly faded out. 2950 North Brookfield Road, Brookfield Ski & Cycle Brookfield, Wisconsin. The building now houses a child educare biz. Front wheel needs to be spoked up. OEM Schwinn Approved front hub so it fits the keyhole slot. 63 mm flange, spaced at 72mm, 3x, HJC aluminum rim = 258 mm spokes. The front fork measures about 59 mm width so the tire should fit okay.

Local parade is this saturday, June 29. There will be bikes so I expect to have this ready.

Img_8607.jpg

IMG_8612.JPG

1719460016978.jpeg

IMG_8611.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG
IMG_8609.JPG

Last edited:
Glad to hear things are beginning to get back to normal.
Have fun getting this ready for the parade!

Van was totaled by the insurance company and towed away. The other big limb on the tree cut off. Tree branches and leaves mostly cut up now. We were going to chain saw everything today but only 1 of the 4 chain saws would run and it was electric so only worked for 20 minutes or so before the batteries needed charging.

So it's time I picked a bike.
Blue. 1978 April frame, May 2 assembly date.
The frame is bent a bit. I think it was bent before the tree landed on the herd of Varsities. It didn't have wheels so it was sitting lower than the rest. String method showed one stay was in, measured at the seat post 4 mm diff. Its real easy to bend the other stay to match. Lay the frame sideways on the floor and gently stand on it. I had a wheel ready for some other project so I used it for a test fit. Perfect fit for the coaster brake hub without spacers. 59mm of space at the tire. The tires are labeled 26 x 2.125 (559 x 59) but there is plenty of room. Not nearly as wide as 2.125 would suggest. Looks like 4 to 5 mm room on either side so the tire is closer to 1.9". Cable guides cut down a bit. I may go over the rest with the angle grinder. The paint is poor and most of the decals are gone. The dealer sticker is badly faded out. 2950 North Brookfield Road, Brookfield Ski & Cycle Brookfield, Wisconsin. The building now houses a child educare biz. Front wheel needs to be spoked up. OEM Schwinn Approved front hub so it fits the keyhole slot. 63 mm flange, spaced at 72mm, 3x, HJC aluminum rim = 258 mm spokes. The front fork measures about 59 mm width so the tire should fit okay.

Local parade is this saturday, June 29. There will be bikes so I expect to have this ready.

View attachment 271065

View attachment 271069

View attachment 271062

View attachment 271068

View attachment 271066View attachment 271067
So in two days??

Back