All things Flightliners...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week ago I picked up this one. It rides nicely, but it will need a lot of cleaning and buffing (it is already parted and in process :))

flightliner_mala.jpg

Is this Western Flyer Silver Flyer substantially the same bike as the Flightliner? Sure looks like it...and I'd love to try my hand at fabricating something similar to the Drag King.

01414_gfVXX9QypUL_600x450.jpg

Here's mine, just finished. Bought the frame/tank at a swap meet for $35 along with a random girl's bike and bought my buddy's Spaceliner to rob the best pieces off of. Put the Spaceliner back together with the girl's bike donor and sold it off to get my pieces I wanted cheap, turned out nice. Still need a chain but otherwise pretty much ready to go. Not totally stock but as close as I could get. Before and after.

Here is mine from when i got if off CL to finished. Have picked up a spaceliner chrome frame and parts, and just bought off of thebay anothre flightliner with springer and two speed hub chrome also. Love these frames.
3.jpg
16.jpg

Oops. I must have "spaced" out. Lol. I'll take a 'flight"out now.[emoji44]

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

020.jpg
Still working on it, but this is mock up to date. I need to extend the rear and place saddle where I want. Thinking I will make a Chop Shop order for a post or cut seat tube and have my welding buddy fab in a mount for saddle. Found a 1958 tank which was first year of the Flightliner and only year this tank was used, but I need the light assembly for it. Plans are to keep it with the patina paint and slight rust.

Last edited:
Thanks Jsparks !!! Reason I need to extend the rear some is due to fact the tire rubs on seat stays yet is clear on the chain stay. I wish it had even a hair amount of clearance because I love the look of rear drop outs they used on these frames. I thought about shaving slight edge they put on that style of tire and hope it would give enough room, but I am not sure. I been meaning to cut some aluminum plate to form extensions and bolt on just to see how it looks and what clearance I get. If I cut the seat tube and fab a mount up, I figure I will make a modified copy of the factory drop out that push the rear wheel back some. All that said is nothing compared to dealing with that 58 tank and finding the light assembly for it. Never thought one would show up yet it did, just wish a whole unit had gone for sale....guess I wait for the body to show, what is a bit more wait. Renaissance man's Drag King was the bike that inspired me to do this bike. Had hope to do a build with less skill involved ( newbie to the custom cruiser world ) and after realized I should try a 2.5 rear tire or smaller but my brother and friends have all told me what ever it takes..stuff the 3" on there because that was the part that stood out. I am not one to throw the towel in so easy, but means slow me down...one day I will post a complete build I swear !

I have a Hookworm I could use for the rear it is 2.5 havent tried to test fit it yet. Looking for a easy build on this last frame I have.

Back