All Trusses are NOT created equal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole time I thought some Trusses I had from another bike would fit, NOPE both sets I have are to big for both bikes I wanted to install them on. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them to fit OTHER than cutting them down?

I ran into this same problem when I bought a set off a guy for my 67 Typhoon. Tried to install them and they were too long. I think someone said they were for a ballooner and that's why they wouldn't fit. Everybody suggested cutting them. I decided no to and sold them on Ebay instead.

One set I have is pretty strong metal so I think I could stand to cut a section out and weld them back, what is the worse that could happen, MORE RUST, o darn.

I hear what ur saying with rust, I got a 58 spitfire the paint is like 1 our of 10 quality in condition, And dad wants me 2 make rims look all shiny, THEY LOOK BETTER RUSTY ON THIS BIKE! Sure chrome rims look good on a bike with nice paint but DAM! He constantly yells at me for it too, I said, "YOU AINT RIDING IT SO LEAVE ME ALONE I LIKE IT THATS ALL THAT MATTERS!!"

Luckily my dad and I do a lot together, we also go exploring and salvaging and both my rust buckets have been found in old barns.
I think dad actually pointed out the Niagara to me and I found the Columbia. Will get pictures up hopefully this weekend

i DO alot of stuff with my dad, But we dont see eye 2 eye on that matter :lol:

i say shorten them if they dont fit. truss rods really dont serve much of a way to strengthen the fork anyway so if you were to cut and weld them it would not really hurt it. trusses are really only functional on a springer where they are more of an acctuating rod than anything to stiffen it.

Back