Alternate frame materials..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres my alternative frame material bikes. Made of aluminum honeycomb composite. There is no tube frame, only donor bike head tubes and crank tube with stubs epoxied in the composite. Both bikes have Schwinn girls bikes (Breeze and Co-ed,both had 2-speed kickbacks) as donors. The Razor bike was my first build, and the Alumasled built a year later.
the Razor bike
razor2.jpg

the Alumasled
sled2.jpg

dangratsdan said:
Heres my alternative frame material bikes. Made of aluminum honeycomb composite. There is no tube frame, only donor bike head tubes and crank tube with stubs epoxied in the composite. Both bikes have Schwinn girls bikes (Breeze and Co-ed,both had 2-speed kickbacks) as donors. The Razor bike was my first build, and the Alumasled built a year later.
I've seen those before but they still amaze me, how much do they weigh?

WOW!
I was just thinking of a bamboo framed Tiki or island theme bike.. but man.. you could get some kinda Buck Rogers thing going with that kind of composite bike..

How hard is it to work with and how much is the material?
-TJ

wow that cool,
i really want to know more about costs and how you works the material... imagine a burrito made of this! :shock:

That aluminum honey comb is cool. For those who havent seen my wood bike here it is. Frame is all plywood and laminated wood.
WOODIE2.jpg

About the aluminum composite bikes. The Razor bike has been weighed on a good scale, it weighed in at 49 lbs. The Alumasled I have not weighed but guess its a good 10 lbs heavier its about 1 1/2 feet longer and the edges are filled and covered with veneer , so I say about 60 lbs..The sled is 8 1/2 feet long, the seat is 20" off the ground, with 2 speed kb, bigbuttseat, and 24x3 on the rear, it glides sooo smooooth down the street.

About the material and construction. Its very expensive to buy this aircraft quality stuff ( you know it cost more than it should if its "aircraft quality", check the net I think sheets of the stuff can be had for $$$ not $$$$ like "aircraft quality" stuff, check with local surplus yard or scrapyard ) , but I got it from the company I work for at a greatly discounted price because it was scrap ( I really did have to pay $$$ for it ), I build business jet interiors and furniture. So using scrap can limit the design, the main frame of the Alumasled was shortened about 2" because the material was to short. I started with a sketch, then a scale drawing, then full size drawn on paper, and each part cut out of the paper, then the cut out paper is assemble by panel ( piece of composite ) and drawn on mdf (pressed fiber) board, then cut out of the mdf and you have a pattern of each panel used to build the bike. Now with the patterns you lay out the panels on the material for best usage of the material, rough cut out the panels with a jig saw, then using a doublesides sticky tape, tape the patterns to the rough cut panels. Now using the pattern as a guide for a router bit with a bearing, route the panel, now with the panels shaped, press the honeycomb down below the edge and fill with waterputty or bondo, then route again to smooth the edges, and cover as you please. Epoxy in the donor bike parts. Assemble panels using epoxy, insertes, double sticky tape, screws, nuts bolts, what ever works to hold the panels together securely. Assemble the rest of the bike and test ride with caution to make sure the everything holds together. Then ride and enjoy. Dangerous Dan

Back