Aluminati (feels like an abandoned amusement park in here!))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* --No! Not E-Harmon !!--

AKB said:
That's pretty sweet 8) So I'm assuming the crank gear is on a freewheel, instead of the rear wheel?

Yeah, what he said, freewheel crank, fixed gear rear? Wait, I still don't get it. haha OK, I think I see, crank ring spins with rear fixed, the crank arms spin free. Got it, makes sense, interesting concept.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -Unforeseen forces at work here-?

A lot going on here at the camp of "2 Black Dogs and a Dude" as i was prepping and polishing today i noticed a little something!

Well' You tell me if there might be something coincidental here. the frame is a 1936!
IMG_0310.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -the blade to the king_-?

fixing my dented frame
IMG_0301-1.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

then there were "3"
IMG_0305.jpg

this will go here
IMG_0306.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -the ladies like shiny things-!

after a few hours with a finish sander and 100,400 & 800 grit. here is a preview of polishing with a red bar.
IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

I had wished i was painting this thing a few times today. Polishing is like doing 3 glass black paint jobs in one!
the deep gouges are staying. it would make it real wavy and weak if i polished them out.
After all this is a RaTRoD?

Great work Mick!Love your build.I've got a Free Spirit road pile with a disc I was considering for my trike(if I ever get it started).Interesting idea integrating it with the crank.Should be pretty sweet when you get it working.Can't wait to see the bike complete.Keep the great ideas coming!

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* --No! Not E-Harmony!!--

I love this!! I've wanted to do this since the first time I saw a Shimano FF setup on a 70's Schwinn. I've even gone to great lengths to explain it to a few of my friends. :?

I will be watching closely to see how this will turn out. I love the idea of no brakes on the rear at all.

And in case other folks consider it mechanically odd, consider that the only parking brake on millions of school buses and similar trucks around the country is a band brake around a drum on the output shaft of the transmission... If you remove the trans from a bus, you have no way to park the thing!

Great concept, can't wait to see the execution of it.
--Rob

imagearchy said:
"The Perfect Match" have been introduced! Why Shimano didn't do this i have no idea? The parts were sitting on there assembly lines. Has any one seen these two parts (Shimano FF ratcheting sprocket and a Shimano rear disc brake caliper) combined to make my
Sprocket Disc Accelerating Brake System?"design patent pending"
IMG_0302.jpg

Go ? Stop? Go ? Stop? Go ? Stop? Go ? Stop? It can't make up it's mind!
The MadNeSs.....
IMG_0303.jpg

With a little shaving, countersink the hardware, polishing, and fab some new brackets? we will be in business!
IMG_0308.jpg

I will probably play with the location/angle to make it look as factory as possible.

Comprende?

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -Mocking up my GirDeR front end fab-

I am going to be drawing up a few blueprints for a springer/girder fork. i am debating on using this Schwinn spring, a modern rear shock/spring combo, an airbag or a pressurized adjustable shock out of an office chair so i can dump it to the ground when i park it?
Or maybe a combination of the Schwinn spring and the office chair adjustable shock. Thats it! Pardon me i am brain storming as i type. I can use the right inversed brake lever to stop and the left to actuate the release for the adjustable gas shock to drop it when i park it so i don't need a kickstand. i will have to make base below the crank to let it rest on the ground. that's a lot of fabrication!
IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

I need to draw up some plans and go the the thrift store to get an adjustable height office chair!
and a headlight!
Laters!

Great ideas. I have seen the disc set up on on a handbuilt bike but yours will be sweeter.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -instant adjustable ride height?-

seeing this one makes me wish i had not sold mine. dig the fork idea i am a sucker for nutty forks. i dont wanna throw a wrench into the monkey because i really dig your brake idea on the sprocket but will the chain pass through the caliper with the caliper being on the front side of the sprocket? keep it up at this point we gotta all cheer each other along lol.

I always appreciate people that think outside the box on things and these ideas BOTH qualify!

Cool stuff man, hey if the caliper was mounted tothe seat tube, could it also function as a chainguard?

Keep your mind open.... :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. T

I really like how your doing this bike.

A rusty patina looks awesome with steel but aluminum looks good shiny.
I'm a bit bias, my BOff frame is factory chrome.
The dents just give it character.

I like the rake of the Schwinn fork.

The Brake-on-Chainring is really wild. Nice one! :D

Looking forward to more.

karfer67 said:
i dont wanna throw a wrench into the monkey because i really dig your brake idea on the sprocket but will the chain pass through the caliper with the caliper being on the front side of the sprocket?

I might set it on the inside but i have about 2mm on each side of the chain.
( If that won't work i can always cut-n-narrow the chain?)

I picked up my stem today. in fact i picked up two! I will post sunday a pick of how i am going to use them both. and my rims are ordered too! thanks for the link on the wheels. i am going with a gloss black 24"x2.5" set of rims. hopefully with large guage black spokes. Does any one know of a place to get thick black spokes?

here is the stem and springer mount that i was talking about. the lower stem will be the mount with a 1" to 1/2" baring clamped in it to set the pivot point for the adjustable height springer front end.
IMG_0325.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -2/3rds of InSta-SusPeNsiOn!-

I have a 750lbs spring from a mountain bike. attached to the original Silver King fork. I think the spring might be a little strong but the Pneumatic lift has a little give too. so we will see.
IMG_0328.jpg

This pneumatic Lift from an office chair will be mounted inside the tank with the actuator button towards the seat end with a lever actuated by the front brake lever. It will push a set of rods forward to push the springer fork forward/rising the bike to ride height or lowering it to set on a bracket that looks like a crank sprocket guard to sit on the ground to park it.
122.jpg

I will have some pics of Tig welding my straight bar back together on thursday!

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* -InSta-SusPeNsiOn!-

dig what your going for. keep in mind the ol silver kings were not heat treated to my knowledge. thats why i sold mine but yours like i said is sweet and makes me wish i still had mine

Back