aluminati v. 2.0

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordinary 2.125 sized black tire. It fits, and I think these will look fine.
20170506_070334.jpg

Threw a bunch of nice parts on it this afternoon at my remote workshop, but didn't have a camera or smart phone with me. All that's left is a kickstand that fits this frame, decals that I ordered, and some work on getting the seat post tightened down. Stay tuned, please. Maybe Monday.

Like the tread pattern! Think the blackwall is a good choice as well, nice contrast to the polished aluminum.

keep the rubber side down!

Spent some quality time with myself this afternoon. Took the smart phone to my shop and took shots of all the parts I've added. Also added my "Aluminati" decals to both sides of the downtube. Rode it, and everything worked. I'm waiting on an aluminum (of course) kickstand that will mount on the chain stay. Then it will be done (Yeah, right; like they're ever done.) So now I'll bore you with all the details:

Added a Brooks saddle, aluminum (oh yeah) handlebars, and grips to match the saddle:
20170507_061803.jpg
20170507_061817.jpg

Bolted on a stick shifter from a three-speed kid's muscle bike. It was for an old Shimano 3.3.3. internal hub, and I had concerns about it mating up with a Nexus 3-speed hub: the concerns were totally unwarranted. It works like a charm. I really was torn over using the stick shifter vs. a grip shifter, which really would have been more ergonomically correct and safer. In the end, I went with the stick. I used a gray colored cable housing which matches up nicely with the aluminum.
20170507_061904.jpg

SAFE ? We don't make bikes to be safe. We make bikes to look GOOD! If they're safe, so be it. Safe bikes are for kids.
Looks GOOD!

Bolted on a stick shifter from a three-speed kid's muscle bike. It was for an old Shimano 3.3.3. internal hub, and I had concerns about it mating up with a Nexus 3-speed hub: the concerns were totally unwarranted. It works like a charm. I really was torn over using the stick shifter vs. a grip shifter, which really would have been more ergonomically correct and safer. In the end, I went with the stick. I used a gray colored cable housing which matches up nicely with the aluminum.View attachment 50695

That's good to know [emoji1303] looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. That's beautiful. Did you drill into the frame? I am afraid to.

The girls frame is different. I removed the bolt underneath and just used a longer one

I may have to tweak the fitment of the chain guard a bit. I'll see about that when I have the kickstand in hand. After that, I may have to call it "finished."

Wow SD! You really tied it all together on this one! And in record time. This build has a cool "old meets new" vibe. Very clean! That chain guard is amazing.

Latest posts

Back