... am I doing wrong? HELP ME TUNE THIS STUPID MUSCLE BIKE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I'm beyond mad. All the time wasted on this pos. It's a 1967 Sears Spyder, built by Murray, with Huret components. I cannot get this dumb this tuned. I've done everything to it except soak it in Holy water.

How do I tune a MUSCLE BIKE?! Apparently it's a different animal than any other bike I've fixed. There's nothing on YouTube for this either. Help me because I want throw it out in the yard! It's been nothing but trouble since I bought it and I'm starting to hate it!
43040bfdb65ae2cdfdd7a09bba7f3cd7.jpg
be8f0f5bcc35818053aa8d95dc9defc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

aea9f8b46909c6d9255c7ce0adb24ab5.jpg

That's great looking bike! Everything looks undamaged, so I'll bet it isn't that hard to fix, as long as it's done one step at a time.
First, what doesn't it do that it should? Explain the problem(s) as best as you can, and I'll bet there are some people here who have had the same thing, and got it fixed.

Its a really nice bike... if its being a bit of a beast first id auggest out it on cardboard at least while wrenching
Is it an issue with the derailer?

By "tune", I mean the deraileur. I've tried everything from replacing the chain and cables to changing the set screws on the deraileur.

No problem... derailers are not my bag, but give the forum a few and im sure someone knowledgable will chime in..
:thumbsup: good luck its a beautiful bike!

Old Hurets suck. One common point of failure is excessive wear where the body swings on the mount. Some have springs, some don't. Next in line is the pivot spring on the cage. Some of them have multiple spring hooks to adjust spring tension, some don't. Personally I'd be tempted to swap it out for an old Shimano or Suntour. Sorry, that's all I've got. Maybe CRASH can help you, he's got a lot of experience with "muscle" bikes.

Well, I have a Shimano I can swap into it if it comes to it

Old Hurets suck. One common point of failure is excessive wear where the body swings on the mount. Some have springs, some don't. Next in line is the pivot spring on the cage. Some of them have multiple spring hooks to adjust spring tension, some don't. Personally I'd be tempted to swap it out for an old Shimano or Suntour. Sorry, that's all I've got. Maybe CRASH can help you, he's got a lot of experience with "muscle" bikes.

+1. Hurets are cool derailers, but in this day and age, i wouldn't want to live with one. I'd definitely put a shortcage Shimano, Campy, or Suntour on there and call it a day. There is probably slop at the pivot to such an extent that no amount of "tuning" will correct it.

I'm not familiar with Hurets, but if it's a friction shifter, all you should have to do is set your limit stops and cable tension, but even indexing shouldn't be too much of a pain unless you're stretching a wider range cassette on a borderline length cage derailler. If you still have issues, something's likely worn out or bent.

I'm beyond mad. All the time wasted on this pos. It's a 1967 Sears Spyder, built by Murray, with Huret components. I cannot get this dumb this tuned. I've done everything to it except soak it in Holy water.

How do I tune a MUSCLE BIKE?! Apparently it's a different animal than any other bike I've fixed. There's nothing on YouTube for this either. Help me because I want throw it out in the yard! It's been nothing but trouble since I bought it and I'm starting to hate it!
43040bfdb65ae2cdfdd7a09bba7f3cd7.jpg
be8f0f5bcc35818053aa8d95dc9defc7.jpg

I'll take it off your hands....tuned or not tuned...cool bike!

:nod:
I'm not familiar with Hurets, but if it's a friction shifter, all you should have to do is set your limit stops and cable tension, but even indexing shouldn't be too much of a pain unless you're stretching a wider range cassette on a borderline length cage derailler. If you still have issues, something's likely worn out or bent.
:acute::thumbsup:

Its a really nice bike... if its being a bit of a beast first id auggest out it on cardboard at least while wrenching
Is it an issue with the derailer?

Need it on a stand ;
Chain, needs to be running,
threw rollers,,right side up....
To properly tune .

@CRASH is prolly the guy to ask..
We'll see about that.

Ok... a Huret didn't come on that bike. That's probably a big source of your problem. I'll bet someone goobered up the original Shimano and took it to a Schwinn shop.

You have 3 options right now:
1) Deal with the Huret. We'll talk about how.
2) Replace with an appropriate Shimano. We'll talk about which if you need. You said you had one... but do you have the RIGHT one?
3) Break the bike down and send it to me, paying for all shipping expenses.

I personally recommend Option 3.

If Option 2, then tell me what you have, and we'll go from there. (Since I doubt you'll fall for Option 3, this would be my recommendation)

If Option 1: Those smooth guide wheels are a bear. They came on Fastbacks and others, but don't really guide like they should. They're built for a smaller freewheel cluster, but a Spyder has a 14-32 cluster (Some had 14-28) So you're asking a lot from a guide wheel that can only "suggest" where the chain goes. But let's give this a shot.

First, you can't do anything with the bike upside down. Turn it over and either hang the seat from a rafter, or rig up some way to suspend the rear wheel. Maybe a rope? Or... take your 6 years of experience on this forum and go buy a bike stand!! (You'll never know how you lived without one)

Once the bike is set up, you need to eye ball that derailleur. It the cage vertical with the frame of the bike? Is the body twisted or deformed in any way? Is the cage laterally twisted, meaning, is it trying to guide the chain towards the left pedal instead of the sprocket ahead of it? Is the wheel on straight? Are the dropouts bent, or misaligned?

If all that is good, then you can actually start adjusting it. That will be my next post that I'll write after my meeting...

Who else flipped their head upside down to see the bike better?

Admit it.

Liars. You know you did.
Nope. Copied the pic, flipped and blew it up it to see if the chain eater had Schwinn script on it. :grin:

Back