American bike Knowledge needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingola

Canadian Collection Connoisseur
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Canada we don't see a lot of Columbias is this a reproduction or a restoration
Screenshot_20220822-070313.png

I've been told it's all original parts. But much of it just doesn't sit right.Its more than I would normally pay.

It doesn't look like one of the repros they had. I remember the nice green ones in the bike shop windows back in 82 or 83, 500 bucks. But the bike you show is a model they didn't make a repro from as far as I know.
The serial number is on the left rear dropout, and Columbia bikes were lightly stamped with a smaller font than the usual bike. It should begin with a letter followed by numbers that will give you the year.

It looks like the fork might be bent backward, hard to tell from the pic. The wheel needs to be pointing straight to see how close the front fender comes to the frame. The angle of the frame looks to high which would be caused by a bent fork also.

Last edited:
It's a real Columbia. Very cool custom paint job too.
I am not familiar with that chainguard though. Not quite sure if it is Columbia or not.

It's a real Columbia. Very cool custom paint job too.
I am not familiar with that chainguard though. Not quite sure if it is Columbia or not.
The chaingauard is what through me off looks very similar to ones found on reproductions.

That's a Columbia chain guard, but maybe not for that bike. All; the pics I've seen of that guard are late 50's/ 60's bikes, while the tank looks more like the 50's tanks. They usually show this kind of guard:
1661213141981.png

Your guard is common on the late 50's/ early 60's Columbias: This is a 59:
1661213674331.png

Attachments

• 1661213224703.png
    1661213224703.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1661213459904.png
    1661213459904.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nice I could tell you anything you want to know about a CCM, Raleigh or gazelles but American bikes are a mystery. They just are not found up here or rarely. Schwinn and CCM especially had a good relationship and pretty much stayed out of eachothers way

Back