American pickers pick George Barris!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just saw a commercial for Monday's episode of American Pickers and they are picking George Barris! Thought I'd give you guy's a heads up as this is an episode worth watching.

That should be cool!!!

I think some of these guys that had huge names at one time or another let Mike and Frank in just to get publicity. Same thing with M & F, they love picking celebrities to make the show more interesting. I don't get to hang out with Mike anymore since he moved to Tn. , but I still do on Labor Day Weekend for the Blackhawk Antique Motorcycle Meet here in Davenport. When he used to have his Bike Shop here, I was there at lunch time at least three day of the week.He always had cool stuff that he had just picked up.

outskirtscustoms said:
Just saw a commercial for Monday's episode of American Pickers and they are picking George Barris! Thought I'd give you guy's a heads up as this is an episode worth watching.

I think their whole show is an advertisement for all the places that they pick, but I like the show and watch it! :D

example: they find 15 items just alike, cheap, and they only buy one???
huh?, I'd buy them all, but now somebody out there knows where to look for the other 14, and everything else they spotted while M&F were looking around.

well, shut my mouf!

I don't mean to poo-poo anything, but we were in California about 4 years ago tooling up and down the coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco for almost a week. Anyhoo, I love fabrication and good work. I've seen a lot of stuff over the years, I'm not the end-all expert of everything but I know good work when I see it. We went to Barris' "shop" because I had seen so much of his work over the years advertised. Barris doesn't actually fab. anything any longer, not from what we could tell. The body shop that you have to walk through to get to his informal museum he doesn't own any longer, he sold it to someone else. We were able to look around at his cars on display for free. The batmobile was in there and well, honestly, this was the most anti-climatic moment seeing it in person. It is not nice, at all. The interior looks like poop and the gauges are really, really cheesy inside. I know it was for a TV show and there weren't many close-ups or HD back in the 1960s, but still it just really seemed thrown together. I think the car was neglected for years back in the 80s too, sat behind one of the studios under a tarp or something (then again the V8 Interceptor from Mad Max II sat in a junkyard for years after filming). I don't mean to make the guy sound bad, he's obviously made a name for himself over the years and done some really great work, I dunno it's like seeing Bozo the clown without his make-up on I guess.

I've seen Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's work in the Peterson museum (highly recommended for a visit). His attention to detail was really no comparison.

I Agree! I Just seen the batmobile today and was really unimpressed with it. like stated above it's really cheesey in person and thrown together. I took some pics I will post. I can't belive that the guy paid 4,2 mil for this thing!

20130223_121111.jpg

20130223_121104.jpg

20130223_121032.jpg

It's probably a publicity thing like anything else but I just thought it'd be cool to have a look around his garage and see what is in there.

Most all movie cars look very cheesy in real life, Ive seen a couple over the years in real life and wasnt impressed but the coolness was still there.Ive seen the Ghost busters car, 90s bat mobile, Back to the future car, general lee jump car. and all them had their cheesy parts. the coolest was the general lee with the concrete still in the trunk but there was more then a few lbs of bondo on it

I'm sure they wasted quite a few Mopars for that stupid show with all those jumps. That isn't even mentioning all the young guys who were inspired to copycat those stunts as well.

dragnusa said:
Most all movie cars look very cheesy in real life, Ive seen a couple over the years in real life and wasnt impressed but the coolness was still there.Ive seen the Ghost busters car, 90s bat mobile, Back to the future car, general lee jump car. and all them had their cheesy parts. the coolest was the general lee with the concrete still in the trunk but there was more then a few lbs of bondo on it

Ichoptop said:
George Barris in it for publicity.... Go figure. Sam Barris was the true craftsman of that business until his unfortunate passing.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I've always been a fan of the "unknown" brothers work. Its good to see people give credit where its due!
My favorite of Sams work:
Matranga-mercury-national-roadster-show.jpg

Mantranga's Merc.
Jadewombat: George did some bodywork when him and Sam were in High School in Sact. but after that,nothing. I have never seen anything documented(print or picture). Believe me, I have searched long and hard. NADA.

RatSphinx said:
I'm sure they wasted quite a few Mopars for that stupid show with all those jumps. That isn't even mentioning all the young guys who were inspired to copycat those stunts as well.

I read somewhere it was around 600 cars....

it was close to 200. Denver Pile was a friend of my dads and we got to visit the set. They had a whole lot of them all painted up in various states of trashed. My dad was pretty upset since he was a Mopar mechanic for many years. They only had 2-3 close up cars and the rest were filled with bondo and covered in spray paint.
I read somewhere it was around 600 cars....[/quote]

Back