AMERICAN PICKERS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Merkel engine kit was pretty sweet. It's too bad that family didn't want to let go of anything...they were too smart. :wink:

Yeah, that Merkel kit was cool. Mike threw a serious offer on that too and still no go. :shock: Nice shirt, Rat Rod. :D

thesuicideride said:
i love the show but its already hurting us like i knew it would. my friend stumbled on a rough ratty higgins bike with a tank, rear rack, and no springer at a garage sale yesterday. he said it had miss matched parts and alot of stripped rounded bolts. and the fork was frozen. he asked the lady how much and she said $400 :shock:. he said it had a "as seen on American Pickers" sign on it and she gave him a whole schpeal about how they sold theirs for 400 or so. i had a feeling the everyday joe that has a crusty old bike would catch this show then go out and flick the wasps nest off of that old bike that has sat behind the shed for ten years and slap a rediculous price tag on it. one they probly woulda just gave away if somebody asked about it. im poor and this is gonna suck. :lol:

Arrrrg. :x

Cool that Danielle called you back personally. How awesome would it be to see them wearing one of your shirts on TV?

Anyway, I like the show, but have an issue with it. Understand that I have a backround in antiques and such, so I have a different view on some things. You have to realize that some people in the antique community feel that "pickers" give antique dealers a bad name. Why you ask? They pray on the unsuspecting.

It is VERY different from buying at a flea market or a yard sale. In those circumstances the sellers are putting themselves out there willingly and selling for what they think is a fair price. If they screw up and sell for too cheap, it is their problem. No sympathy. They are seeking buyers in those situations.

However, if you troll around looking to, quite frankly, rip off unsuspecting old people, your not a very nice person. Great, you drive by an old place with old junk everywhere. You know there are gems hidden inside. You knock on the door and meet the 80 year old widow who lives there. Her husband died 10 years ago and she never touched his mess. She invites you in, shows you around, and you find his (let's say) collection of vintage bikes. She will sell them because she thinks it is time to move on. What do you offer? Some "pickesr" are gonna offer her an idiotic low-ball price and make a fortune. Good for him...I couldn't do it.

By the way, I'm not saying these guys do that, but some pickers do. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's funny with this show because there have been several times when I thought that they paid too much for something. There have also even been a couple of times when they asked about the price on something and the person would throw out a number and they would say...oh no, that's too low. For the most part I have not really seen them make a huge profit on anything. They will buy something and it will say "Picked - $50" and then under that "Value - $100."

The other issue that has been discussed is the fact that a high percentage of these people they run into would probably never have sold any of the stuff they had and it would eventually end up in the land fill. There have been a couple of instances where they have dropped $1000-$1500 in one visit to someone on a few items that I'm quite sure would have just rotted away. I tried to imagine myself in that situation if two guys showed up and handed me $1500 in cash for some junk I had laying in a barn for 40 years. I'd probably be thinking...RIGHT ON! Whether those people would have ever done the research or spent the time going through the stuff to actually sell the stuff on their own is up for debate.

I agree though, taking advantage of elderly people in any way is very uncool. :wink:

Points all well taken Steve. And like I said, I am not accusing these particular guys of doing that becaue there are times they could have made themselves a better deal. It's just the profession "picker" conjures negative images in my head.

The "landfill" theory holds true I would guess in many cases. That is a sad reality.

Oh yeah, the most recent thing I saw I wanted was the bike messenger bike rack. So cool.

No worries...I took your comment as it was intended. :wink:

This last episode showed them offering a lady and her son $3000 for a bike with a very old Merkel engine kit on it. Unfortunately for Mike the lady and her son were not in a hurry to sell it.

Since Mike seems to be a bike-aholic, I'm guessing most of the really old ones he finds ends up as permanent fixtures in his collection. :mrgreen:

Yeah, he is a bike nut. I admire any guy who can ride the old high wheel bikes!

Did you see the episode where in the huge barn of stuff, he picked up an old long spring saddle? The guy wanted $60 for it, and they laughed. I would have bought it for that! Guess he needs to ad the classified section to his buyer list. :lol:

Fill'er Up

Premiere Date: 04/05/2010

After a couple of days without a decent pick, Mike and Frank look up a Georgia collector they've heard about. He's got a storage shed that's jam-packed with curios and movie memorabilia from his family's drive-in theater. Also, during a record cold snap in rural Florida, the guys tour Wayne's awesome collection of vehicles. But is anything for sale? And, on a property full of tractors and signs, the guys scour a treasure-filled outbuilding that seems too good to be true, then hatch a plan to get the owner to sell.

Comes back on again in 10 minutes. :wink:

Hey I thought you guys might enjoy this. My dad if friends with the guy who had the star and victor bikes. This was a email that was posted on there old engines fourm

To: [email protected]
Subject: John Davidson
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:17:15 -0600

First off, Thanks for all the positive comments.

This did not just happen. I know Mike from a couple years ago as I sold him some MC paper and he had seen the bikes. Last Jan I got a phone call and ask if I would like to be on the Pickers. They would buy the bike for my price. they arrived about 10:30 on a saturday in Jan and did not leave till after 4. Lot of time for about 12 minutes of air time. Mike likes MCs and bikes while Frank is more into advertising.

We went our to the barn but the camera man has to get ahead and get us coming in the barn, going up the stairs ect. The Springfield is in the picture as it is next to the stairs. They asked about one hi-wheeler but that was my sons and not for sale. Liked alot of tin cans but were not for sale. The bike in the barn was moved back of the barn before they got up there so they could "discover" it as they moved farther along. Bought a couple cigar display pieces in bad shape that I didn't value as much as they paid. The Royal Blue sign used to hang on my fathers store. Nice porcelin sign but to large to be real valuable so I let it go.

On to the basement and the Star hi-wheeler. That was put in my shop area ahead of us coming down so I could bring it before the camera.The Star has a long way to go before it will bring the money they think it is worth. More advertising again but not for sale. I sold Mike a Harley-Davidson horn for his offer (this was not shown), has a broken missing bracket and was glad to take his money.

All in all, it was a very interesting day and a lot of fun. Really were nice guys to deal with. I think I made out very good and I hope they get the prices they claim the items are worth. I took my INGO bike out and showed Mike how it works then let him ride it but they did not show that segment. I think they made a really nice story in the allotted time. John Davidson

The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Get started.
Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. See how.

Larry, Thanks for sharing. I knew is was some what scripted but not that much. Very surprising. Going back to the first episode, I guess Leeland probably didn't get taken or at least he knew ahead of time.

Funny to see just how much of this stuff has to get planned out.

Thanks for sharing that Larry...very cool to see the inner workings of the show.

In the end, it's all just about entertainment...and in my mind, it's working! :D

Back