AMF Hercules and Jr Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an awesome week. I'm super excited for these Craigslist finds especially the Hercules. Picked up the Jr for 35 (monday) and Herc for 30 (tonight).

Here's the Jr Roadmaster. Had this for trade but didn't seem like anyone was interested in it so looks like its getting a rebuild. Standard setup not much too look at.. all rubber tires, rusted.

4878564536_d307c1dc34_z.jpg

and here's what im actually really geeked most about. The Hercules.

4890304086_d00bb2849c_z.jpg

4890304262_29518390a4_z.jpg

As you pull this beat up cover.. it unveils this super nice saddle in my opinion :D
4890304448_5d3e8b8aba_z.jpg

Speedometer and What looks like a 3spd hub shift. The hubshift I didnt noticed until I was taking pictures of the bike haha.
4889708861_9087367b49_z.jpg

The light needs a lil TLC of course
4889709139_eb6953a819_z.jpg

Blurry pic of the mini generator that powers the light up front
4889709417_b003f759ba_z.jpg

Keep any eye out for the double whammy build thread of these two

that el guapo is looking stellar, i'm not a fan of apes personally but im sure i can conjure up something soon

ok my bro told me to look under the crank casing for a serial number.. and i wasnt really worried about the year of the bike.. but i started to get curious and such on the bike

found a stamped number on the rear of the seat tube with 222770.. and then i read you look on the rear hub.. i scratched off some of the nasty grease and dirt and i think i saw a 64 on there?... could use some more info on this situation :D

another thing.. there's TONS of stuff about england.. front badge says Hercules and Birmingham England on it plus a small sticker with a crest that says guaranteed english lightweight?
my hub also mentions stuff about england... so were these bikes produces in england?

There should be a digit or two for the month near the year, like 10 64. Those hubs have good chrome on them, I would let some liquid wrench or something soak in and then it will clean up fairly easily. Looking at the bike, it looks like it could easily be a 64. The paint is good on those bikes also, it will shine like new with a cleaning and waxing, just use mild soap and be careful of the decals, they may be damaged by scrubbing too much. That's an uncommon color, usually they are black, green, blue, or red.

Cool Hercules!

The two clearest clues that I see about its age are the "AMF" sticker on the seat tube, which places it 1969 or older, as that is when Raleigh stopped making the Hercules and AMF started.
The other clue is the pincher type brakes.
The older Raleigh Hercules used mechanical linkage pull brakes that pressed the pads upward against the inner rim, rather than pinching the sides of the rim.

Great find, and a fun project!

Latest posts

Back