AMF Roadmaster I found on CL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this clean AMF Roadmaster today on Detroit Craigslist, $75
I'm guessing it's early 60's.

As I got it (I actually rode it in the snow):

001shb.jpg

After about a half hour, removed the fenders, chain guard and put on my WW balloon tires:

006en.jpg

Headbadge looks nice, I think I'll leave the Wald front rack on it

010zd.jpg

Crank sprocket will polish up nice

013pa.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do about a seat, that red and white one looks silly enough to leave on it.

Cool! I've seen that sprocket on ebay listed for more than you paid for the whole thing! I believe that chainguard is a leftover Shelby guard that AMF used on whatever model they felt like! -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Cool! I've seen that sprocket on ebay listed for more than you paid for the whole thing! I believe that chainguard is a leftover Shelby guard that AMF used on whatever model they felt like! -Adam

I've seen the sprockets before, that's what made me drive up to Detroit to get the bike. I didn't know they were valuable though. I have the fenders and guard on Ebay, and I listed the guard like that, saying it'll probably fit just about any AMF bike you care to put it on.

Nice find, same frame as mine that I recently found again. I have a 24" AMF girl's bike with the same style chainguard. I am using the star sprocket off of it (44 tooth). I might use the chainguard on mine, but the star sprocket looks best bare.

Mine originally had a star sprocket with reflectors. I traded it for a set of tandem sprockets knowing I had another one to use.

thirstee said:
That is a clean looking ride but I'd say change the seat, unless you wanna go with a patriotic theme! Just my 2 pennies.

Yeah yeah, I'm thinking maybe the bike was originally red and white, hence the seat, or maybe somebody just thought it looked funny. I'll scare up another old springer seat for it, or maybe put a banana seat on it..I already bought some ape hanger bars for it off Ebay..The rims are super clean, not a speck of rust on them, so I'm hesitant to do the red wheel /white wall bit..Probably just change the seat, put the bars on it, and ride 'er as is. This is as close to a "rat bike" that I have.

One other thing I thought of, that would be just wild, would be to have the whole frame chrome plated. But that's over the top, and besides, I wanted a bike I could ride whenever, wherever, without worrying about it.

MattJP said:
Nice bike. Why not leave the fenders and chain guard on and just change the seat and maybe grips?

Fenders are too narrow for the balloon tires, and, as stated above, the star chain ring looks best exposed. Also, I'm over 6' tall, so the taller bars will help. I already have a pretty bike that has everything on it; this one is just a rider.

Wildcat said:
Memory lane classics has handlebars stingray style for 12 bucks.

Yes, but I opted for the 24 inchers on Ebay. I also solved the seat issue by putting the generic black cruiser seat w/ the crash rail that I had on my CWC Roadmaster on this bike.

I am curious about something..It has that Wald rat trap front carrier on it, which I plan on leaving there. I also have a similar rat trap type REAR carrier..I'm wondering if it would look alright if I put the rear carrier on too.

sweet roadmaster! i have a 59 or 60 and they ride like a dream. mine has the spiral chainring on it and i converted the oe style clampless seatpost with a longer post and conventional seatpost clamp. since, ive put on oe chrome fenders with narrower 1.75 tires and oe rear rack.

IMG_0765.jpg

Now I'm thinking about painting the frame flat black, and wheels red afterall...and putting on one of those chrome repop Schwinn type springers on it. Or maybe not.

Back