AMF Roadmaster Sky Rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother snagged this one for me today at a flea market. If I'm not mistaken, the manufacturer switched from the star chainring in 1962, which makes this a 60 or 61 model. Regardless, its an absolute peach.

723B29AA-6604-40F1-97A6-D21502D3318D-13353-0000086D09804DEF_zps366d3a32.jpg

I never could find a definite year they went to the star sprocket, or earlier when they went from the spiral style to the star sprocket. One other thing to look for is the seatpost that tightens like a handlebar stem, those are earlier models. I think yours could be late 50's to early 60's. No sequence has been noted for the serial numbers either. Not yet anyway. I'd like to find someone who worked there in the Little Rock factory that might know or know where the records are kept. Your bike looks to be in very good condition, the seat isn't worn, so it all may be original down to the tires. Are there old batteries in the light?

Wildcat said:
I never could find a definite year they went to the star sprocket, or earlier when they went from the spiral style to the star sprocket. One other thing to look for is the seatpost that tightens like a handlebar stem, those are earlier models. I think yours could be late 50's to early 60's. No sequence has been noted for the serial numbers either. Not yet anyway. I'd like to find someone who worked there in the Little Rock factory that might know or know where the records are kept. Your bike looks to be in very good condition, the seat isn't worn, so it all may be original down to the tires. Are there old batteries in the light?

All that remains of the headlight is just the shell, all of the light mechanism is gone. Also missing is the seatpost clamp. Otherwise the bike is in such great shape. The tires say "LIGHTNING", leading me to believe they are antique (if not original).

It may not have ever had a seat post clamp, it tightens like a handlebar stem. Look under the seat to see if it has a bolt.

Wildcat said:
It may not have ever had a seat post clamp, it tightens like a handlebar stem. Look under the seat to see if it has a bolt.

Boom! You are absolutely correct! Thanks for the insight!!

your bike is most likely a 60 or 61 my skyrider is a 59 and it is the last year of they made the full tank and the seconded to the last year they put on delta hawk lights. yours looks like a delta wasp which started in early 60
here is a before and after of my skyrider and me when I got it. I wasn't to happy as my mom just bought a basically NOS Schwinn and was riding it around as mine was getting torn down and restored. this was about 1 year ago now.
skyrider2_zpsf1eb66b9.jpg

skyrider_zps0d9c5e1d.jpg

Back