AMF Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought an AMF 3 Speed Roadmaster. I'm not sure of the year but I bet it's from the 70s.
It shifts perfect, has new tires, grips and seat look like they're new. Basically ready to ride, just needs to be cleaned up.

Forgive the picture quality, I dont have the digi cam with me so I had to use my laptops camera.

Photo57.jpg

I'm done buying bikes for now. I've got my cruiser, I've got my commuter and I've got my empty wallet.

Thanks guys. Other than cruisers these touring bikes are pretty much all I like.

It cleaned up pretty nice. I rode it to class today and everything worked perfect. Not bad for a $70 bike considering all I had to do was clean it. Plus it has my favorite touring bike color combo of British racing green and caramel. :D

Cool ride! If you look on the rear hub, the build date of the hub is stamped on it, month and year. The bike is usualy made about the same time. Sheldon Brown's site, (I think) is where I got the info to date mine.

Thanks bigred. I just went and checked. All I came up with is that its a Shimano 333 hub. I think if it was a Sturmey Archer there probably would have been date codes.

I read a guy's post on the Schwinn forums saying that if a bike has this 333 hub, it was likely made in the early 70s. Thats about as close to the date as I'll probably ever get.

Its got a badge/sticker with the logo faded away which still reads "Wilson's" on it. Was there ever a bicycle manufacturer named Wilson's? I know AMF didn't really make their own bikes and companies such as Murray, Raleigh and Huffy made them. I've never heard of Wilson's though.

Don't know if answered, was trolling the net about this bike and ran across this.

Wilson was an independent sports equipment manufacture, and pretty sure it got ate up by AMF. AMF sports equipment,, AMF owned Harley Davidson in the 70's too.. Not sure what AMF's up to these days.. but,, that's why Wilson's on there,, must have been made at the time AMF ate them. Corporate gobble, gobble, chomp! on the history of the label . In absence of a serial number data base it would also help to date it too. When did AMF eat Wilson?

Back