An important message to Rat Rod Bikes members

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please, for the love of all that is good, don't hack up old BMX bikes without checking to see what you have first.

Huffy, Murray, Open Road.... HACK AWAY!

Webco, Rampar, Race Inc.... STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKE!!!

Thank you! :)

Really? Could you give a list of ones to watch for? I don't know much aboun BMX bikes.

I'm only posting this as it appears a member chopped a Webco to pieces.

sadly great stuff gets thrown out or chopped up all the time but its also I personally usually know what I have before I mess with it.
I have seen lots of nice vintage original paint bikes repainted which drives most people insane on the schwinn site
when it comes down to it they all cant be saved and if they were they wouldnt be as desireable

HutchXL24 said:
I'm only posting this as it appears a member chopped a Webco to pieces.
and I only giggled because it reminded me of the whole hotrod idea
the Vintage Model A clubs around the country sure hated chopped tops for a very long time

Hooch said:
skoda said:
I'm firing up the angle grinder... :shock: :shock:

Nothing is safe.
hahaha
can you but those 24 x 3s on a 20" bmx? lol

Ha ha...I can tell you what I can't fit them on...they got here yesterday and look awesome, but they are a tight squeeze. I'll cram 'em into something though. The only frame I could have used them on I just sent to The Duke.... :( Going to have to tear something else down or look for another frame.

I have mixed feelings on spray paint, it's definitley stupid what some people do to old bikes with it, but it all depends.

gee, so sorry, i have no idea what it is. i looked for info on it but nothing was there. guess i am a bad boy. wow, thats why they call me Outlaw. hutch, if you want it i'll send it to you as i said befor.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Heh, heh...ok, we need to see what happened to this thing. Photos please!

The whole BMX/Krate collector thing is so out of hand, I have to kind of laugh at this. Sorry guys. :lol: :lol:

look in other bikes. find my other bikes by Outlaw. you can see what i have done. darn, i killed a bike. that should get me some time. man did i mess up or what?

Outlaw

OUTLAW said:
look in other bikes. find my other bikes by Outlaw. you can see what i have done. darn, i killed a bike. that should get me some time. man did i mess up or what?

Outlaw

Nah. :roll: You're allright.

OUTLAW said:
ok, so what is it?

Outlaw

I dunno? A Webco I guess. It might have been worth a little money, but hey, just imagine all of the stuff nobody ever sees getting destroyed. I hardly think the bike world just lost something substantial.

jtdaddy said:
Really? Could you give a list of ones to watch for? I don't know much aboun BMX bikes.
p.k. rippers are pretty worthless so send'em my way and i'll give ya something else to chop. :p

Ha ha ... I personally never would've thought about taking a second look at BMX bikes, before I cut them up. Sad to say but if its not a classic and I find it........Its doomed. Its usually death by cutter wheel or hack saw. Theres been a couple of times when Ive dragged a BMX home, looked at it, read the name and thought "Huh...Ive never heard of one of those before", then I scalp all the goodies off of it....... and out comes my "trusty" cutter wheel again.

""hhhmmm.....I wunder, Do BMX bikes have feelings??????"" Na!!!! I wouldnt go that far, theyre still free game!!

I know I'm a new guy here, so I'll try to tiptoe.

I know the loss of an old BMX bike is not life or death. None of this is. We're playing w/ bikes after all.

I've been collecting, restoring, and yes, selling old BMX bikes for about 10 years now. I really wasn't trying to call anyone out. That's why I didn't use names. In hindsight, I should have PMed the member rather than responding in an open forum.

However, I don't have any remourse about posting this topic, "an important message to Rat Rod Bikes members," if it helps prevent other significant old BMX bikes from finding their way to a scrap pile or getting chopped up for a build.

The use of old BMX parts on "rat rod" bikes is awesome. Keep it up, by all means. In doing so, you are preserving what would have otherwise been trashed forever. That's pretty cool.

That's all for now. :mrgreen:

musclebikes said:
Sad to say but if its not a classic and I find it........Its doomed. Its usually death by cutter wheel or hack saw.

Many of us view such bikes as JMC, VDC, or SE Racing as classics. In many cases they're classics because of the rarity or technology that was way ahead of it's time. Sometimes, it might be a classic because of the memories it stirs in those who owned or dreamed of owning one.

To each his own I guess.

YA, i understand how you guys view old bmx's as classics, and I respect that.
My view of a classic is just a litte different ( muscle bikes, and heavy weight bicycles from the 1950's and earlier.)

Back