An important message to Rat Rod Bikes members

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im a bmx collector myself. i have a p.k. ripper almost done and another out of state being repaired, i've been to rockford and all that jive. if a person wants to hack a frame, it's there's to do what ever.

hutch, it's ok what you first said. if i would of saw a name on it i would of saved it. i did not know what it was but i do know some names. back in the late 70's two of my kids raced bmx and i fixed alot of bikes then, so yes i do know names just did not see this one. i got this bike at the dump, this guy was throwing it away, just the frame and an old rusted out fork and the b/b was cut out. go figure, so i asked the guy if i could have it. was going to use the front part on my grandsons chop as you saw in the pic. but he wanted to do something else. so if you still want it i will send it to you. i understand what this would mean to you. hey, have a great day everyone, got to go to my shop and play. thanks.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

So how about a list of bikes....

Hutch or anyone else, I would love to have a list or some links to bmx and other bikes that may be of value. We need an "Endangered Species" list. I know I've wiped out some of them critters! But at the same time, how do we preserve the future? 50 years from now the original Stingray choppers and the BFKs will be collectible because of our chop and flop, find and grind techiniques. Look at all the bikes we're finding that are collectible, but back in their day they were just a bike. Bottom line is not everybody is gonna be happy with what happens to their childhood(adulthood) memories, but we'll get over it (maybe :cry: ).
Whether you restore, rat, preserve or Freak it, just make sure it's cool! :mrgreen:

skota lolololol :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I guess we better send a message to Kev lolol

BikeButcher.jpg

FW

Chainsaw said:
Hutch or anyone else, I would love to have a list or some links to bmx and other bikes that may be of value. We need an "Endangered Species" list. I know I've wiped out some of them critters! But at the same time, how do we preserve the future? 50 years from now the original Stingray choppers and the BFKs will be collectible because of our chop and flop, find and grind techiniques. Look at all the bikes we're finding that are collectible, but back in their day they were just a bike. Bottom line is not everybody is gonna be happy with what happens to their childhood(adulthood) memories, but we'll get over it (maybe :cry: ).
Whether you restore, rat, preserve or Freak it, just make sure it's cool! :mrgreen:

vintagebmx.com and bmxmuseum.com are a good start.

HutchXL24 said:
Webco, Rampar, Race Inc.... STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKE!!!

Rampar?? Seriously? I did do a bit of research before posting the pic of mine here, and they really seem to be held in the same regard as Murray and Huffy. Webco on the other hand, everyone knows better than to carve on those, right? :wink:

sorry man....I do not even know what a Webco is?

Right now If I see a part that I need to complete a build that I'm working on...out comes the tools and cutters :shock: :D

I think Kev gave me heck one day over something I cut up or tossed out....I didn't know :oops:

FW

It's all cool Hutch. I usually support chopping and ratting anything that comes to hand..until I got served with a homebuilt tandem job using 2 Mark 1 Raleigh Choppers! The hair on the back of my neck went up straight. But I guess we can't save them all and we can't deprive a ratter from his/her fun. :mrgreen:

Hey didn't someone burn a Stingray Krate on the Schwinn forum?

Gerry

Bunbury said:
HutchXL24 said:
Webco, Rampar, Race Inc.... STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKE!!!

Rampar?? Seriously? I did do a bit of research before posting the pic of mine here, and they really seem to be held in the same regard as Murray and Huffy. Webco on the other hand, everyone knows better than to carve on those, right? :wink:

There were different models of Rampar BMX bikes. Some were pretty full boogy race machines for their time while others were production bikes. Chances are, if it has no chain guard tabs and an "R" headtube gusset, you've got a keeper (see link below). The others w/ the double hole single gusset have value too, to those of us who rode them as kids. Also, the Rampar motobikes have their fans too. There were even some FMF, Race Inc., PK Ripper looking aluminum Rampars sold. I helped locate one for a dude a few years back.

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/rampar/9449

I sold a really badly rusted, I'm talking blown out chromoly tubing, Rampar R11XL to another collector who promptly spent hundreds to have it repaired. They're scarce and worth the time and money for repairs.

Hey, that made for a nice websurf... found a cool site on the Raleigh Grifter, kind of Raleigh's way of trying to produce their own version of a Chopper-inspired offroad bike--not really BMX, but weird and cool nonetheless...

http://www.raleighgrifter.co.uk/homepage.html

Am I seeing the pics correctly? Is that an oversize top tube like the Chopper with a teeny little chainstay-size down tube for a little added strength?

--rick

I'm not terribly attached to any BMX bikes, with the possible exception of gen 1 GT Mach Ones and Skyway T/As (you'll know them because they are the most beautiful diamond frame bike ever made).

Save the T/As

Back