Another 66 Huffy Rail- light resto

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the 66 Rail that I picked up a few weeks ago. It’s in really good condition so I’m mostly going to just clean, polish, lube and tune.

@CRASH noticed that some of the parts on this bike were a later vintage and suggested some parts swapping might be in order. Namely the Shimano 333 rear derailleur should have been a Huret and the pedals on it were for a later vintage. So yesterday I loaded the Rail in the truck and headed down to CRASH’s shop!

And here it is on the stand getting some pro muscle bike attention.
IMG_0305.jpeg

The derailleur that was on it.
IMG_0308.jpeg

The correct Huret
IMG_0309.jpeg

The rear wheel has seen some trauma. A previous derailleur had broken and caused the chain to go into the spokes which bent a number of the spokes and destroyed the spoke protector. CRASH had a brand new spoke protector that he suggested we use for it and I could reimburse him. Super cool! Next thing I knew the rear axle was out to get the free wheel off. Gotta clean off all that old gunk and put some fresh grease in there.
IMG_0312.jpeg

While this was going on CRASH made the comment that the wheel would be easier to shine up if it was disassembled. I said I would get into that at some point as I wanted to learn to build wheels. The response- no better time than the present. And the spokes came out. This just turned into a rear wheel resto!

IMG_0306.jpeg
IMG_0307.jpeg
IMG_0310.jpeg
IMG_0311.jpeg
IMG_0313.jpeg

CRASH cleaned and polished the rim and hub while I was servicing the rear hub bearings. He uses crumpled aluminum foil and hot water to remove the rust which works great. A little wire wheel action to clean up the inside of the rim.

IMG_0319.jpeg

Now that’s a well used polishing wheel!
IMG_0316.jpeg

The chrome came out looking like new!
IMG_0320.jpeg
IMG_0321.jpeg

Then CRASH walked me thru the basics of wheel building. This is when the wheel became the PITA wheel. I didn’t have new spokes and using the old ones made it a real pain to get this wheel right. I got to do the initial spoke tensioning but CRASH took over for the trueing. It took a while but he got it spinning perfectly, and only one of the spokes that had been damaged broke. I’ll probably redo this wheel with new spokes sometime down the road.
71356993867__43A5E5BB-20AF-45DA-BCFA-691FAAA1CAC6.jpeg

The finished wheel looks pretty minty
IMG_0324.jpeg

He forgot to mention the bottom bracket overhaul, new chain, and new shift cable we put on it. And of course once I have chrome apart, I have to polish it. The bike was an onion, and we kept peeling. But we got it rolling right and shifting, so, time well spent! It was nice to work with someone.

Pondo tensioning. (I made him do it with a screwdriver because the bit I made for my drill didn’t fit in those old nipple heads! So he tensioned while I polished.

98B10D9B-3606-4A7F-A4BA-EBFB715C6CA5.jpeg

We decided to service the bottom bracket while it was accessible so the cranks and chain ring were treated to a clean and polish.
IMG_0322.jpeg

The derailleur needed a little tweaking to be straight but it’s pretty good now. Then we hit a road block with a frayed shift cable that wasn’t salvageable. This shifter takes a cable that isn’t made anymore. It’s brake sized cable with a smaller barrel on the shifter end. CRASH happened to have some in his stash (wow!) so on went a new cable! The next hurdle was the chain that was bad and kept ejecting itself from the chain ring. Parts stash to the rescue again! While it was apart CRASH straightened my shifter lever.

Swapped the pedals out for the earlier style.

IMG_0315.jpeg

Ok, it finally got all back together and functional, cool!
IMG_0327.jpeg

It came out terrific and I’m pretty stoked. What started out as a simple derailleur swap snowballed into a substantially longer project. In a very good way. The bike is looking great and I’m pretty happy with it.
IMG_0330.jpeg
IMG_0332.jpeg

There’s more chrome to polish and bearings to service but it’s looking great right now!

Had a gorgeous sunset on the way home too.
IMG_0333.jpeg
IMG_0334.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpeg
    IMG_0331.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
forgot to mention
Haha! I'm just a slow typist on the iphone. 🤪
The bike was an onion, and we kept peeling. But we got it rolling right and shifting, so, time well spent! It was nice to work with someone.
Agreed. It was a ton of fun and a day well spent. Thanks for having me down for an uber cool wrenching session!

He forgot to mention the bottom bracket overhaul, new chain, and new shift cable we put on it. And of course once I have chrome apart, I have to polish it. The bike was an onion, and we kept peeling. But we got it rolling right and shifting, so, time well spent! It was nice to work with someone.

Pondo tensioning. (I made him do it with a screwdriver because the bit I made for my drill didn’t fit in those old nipple heads! So he tensioned while I polished.

View attachment 245659
Learning to build is one of the best things to learn opens up options and will save you a ton

This bike looks great. I remember when these long top tube 20" bikes came out in the mid sixties or so. I remember K Mart sold bikes like these and I wanted one. But...............I was growing ridiculously tall even in my early teens and these bikes really didn't fit me. So I bought a Schwinn 24" frame Super Sport 10 speed which was a super nice bike and just barely fit me with the post way out. I eventually bought a 26" frame Schwinn Paramount brand new and that was the first bike that really fit me. Never the less you guys are doing great work on one of my wannahave bikes of my teenage years.

This bike looks great. I remember when these long top tube 20" bikes came out in the mid sixties or so. I remember K Mart sold bikes like these and I wanted one. But...............I was growing ridiculously tall even in my early teens and these bikes really didn't fit me. So I bought a Schwinn 24" frame Super Sport 10 speed which was a super nice bike and just barely fit me with the post way out. I eventually bought a 26" frame Schwinn Paramount brand new and that was the first bike that really fit me. Never the less you guys are doing great work on one of my wannahave bikes of my teenage years.
This bike is pretty small even with the longer frame. I’ve ridden it a very short distance and it feels cramped. Plus the cranks are absurdly short. I’m 5’6” so I can only imagine how uncomfortable a bike like this would be for tall folks like you and CRASH.

I'm looking to get a rear tire to make my Rail ridable. The original slick is pretty fragile looking and I want to keep it with the bike so I don't want to destroy it. I ordered a Duro 20x2.125 knobby but a 26" showed up- my bad.

I found this cool Raleigh 20x2.125 redline knobby and was wondering if it is the same rim diameter or a different british diameter?
https://www.amazon.com/Raleigh-T1246-Redline-Cycle-Tyre/dp/B0048LLR9U
I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with this diamond tread Alta
https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Bicycle...la-818932773593&ref=&adgrpid=79098076267&th=1
I know the Duro slick 2.125 actually measures out to about 1.75. Has anyone tried this Alta? Is it 2.125 or skinny?

I'm looking to get a rear tire to make my Rail ridable. The original slick is pretty fragile looking and I want to keep it with the bike so I don't want to destroy it. I ordered a Duro 20x2.125 knobby but a 26" showed up- my bad.

I found this cool Raleigh 20x2.125 redline knobby and was wondering if it is the same rim diameter or a different british diameter?
https://www.amazon.com/Raleigh-T1246-Redline-Cycle-Tyre/dp/B0048LLR9U
I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with this diamond tread Alta
https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Bicycle...la-818932773593&ref=&adgrpid=79098076267&th=1
I know the Duro slick 2.125 actually measures out to about 1.75. Has anyone tried this Alta? Is it 2.125 or skinny?
I have the diamond drizzle tread in 24" and 26". I like the square edge's and I ride about a third of my time on gravel the rest asphalt and they do well on both. I have them in white and black wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20230825_124647103_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230825_124647103_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230818_011146691.jpg
    IMG_20230818_011146691.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back