Another bike, another build! (Completed!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after building my first bike ( viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22763 ) I decide to build another one. I wanted this one to be a different style than the first one, and a little bit more comfortable to ride. Less than a week after thinking of this idea, I found a bicycle in a dumpster on campus. A womens Huffy Santa Fe.

9990000088884911.jpg

The frame was in good shape, but the crank was bent and the bearings were missing. So after scrounging through parts leftover from my last build, I got the bike riding again. Major modifications were necessary, so I broke out the plasma cutter.

img001.jpg

Of course, I forgot to take pics of the bike before I chopped it up. Again.

So the first modification was to stretch the frame. I decided that 7.5" was needed to get the look I was going for. The pipe that was used for the extension was just standard 1.5" exhaust pipe that I found in a muffler shop's dumpster. I sleeved it and rosset welded it in.

img002.jpg

And after some time with the grinder and a strip of emery cloth:

img009.jpg

After completing the welding, I decide that the bike needed more rake. So, out came the hacksaw and the MIG welder. I ended up adding about 15 more degrees to the headtube.

img004.jpg

img011.jpg

Time for a mock up!

img007.jpg

Some nice big whitewalls on some nice rusty wheels. This bike is a single speed with a coaster brake.

Checking the alignment for the top tube, the old school way!

img023.jpg

img024.jpg

Surprisingly, the alignment was correct. Nothing needed grinding, or filled, or anything. So I just went ahead and welded the toptube in place.

img026.jpg

img027.jpg

And thats it really. For the frame, anyways.

img015.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Re: Another bike, another build!

Alright, I got a bit more work done last night. I decided that the handlebars needed a little something extra. I found some heavy hemp looking twine that I decided to use.

img018.jpg

I couldnt believe how much rust the bike had on it. Its not that old of a bike (less than 5 years old) and all the chromed surfaces are covered in rust! Ive never seen handlebars look like these. I like it.

i drilled a hole into the handlebars about 4.5" from the ends. I tied a knot in the twine and fed it up through the hole. This is the starting point for the handgrips. Im still working on a way to hold the other end of the twine. Ideas are welcome!

img021.jpg

The bike as it sits now:

img037.jpg

img040.jpg

I ended up putting the FRONT fender on the REAR. Again, I cant believe how rusty the fenders were. The bike must be made of some pretty crappy materials.

I think that I'm going to just let the frame rust. If anyone else has any color ideas, I'm open to them!

Oh, and the head badge that I came up with for the bikes I build!

img041.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
RatFink328,
Cool build so far, I'm thinking of using a front fender on the rear of my bike too. Can you post a pic of how you attached yours?

Cheers!
Dr. T

I dont have any close up pics, and the bike isnt with me right now. Sorry.

But I didnt modify the fender at all, or the mounting points. I just flipped it upside down. The dropouts had holes in them for the old rear fender, and the front fender braces fit right into them. The top mount also was at the perfect height to mount.

Surprisingly, no modification was necessary! I put the fender in place and seriously started thinking "wait a minute...that was too easy....did I do something wrong?"

The bike is looking cool. I like the idea for the head badge too. And I might have to try that idea of putting the front fender on the back...

Shaggy

Well, the Superbowl was less than entertaining for me. I can only watch about 30 minutes of football before I'm bored. And confused.

So during the 2nd quarter, I did this:

img043.jpg

Im still working out how to secure the end of the twine, and how to fit caps on the ends of the handlebars.

If I can find one, i would like to recover the seat in fake alligator hide. Im thinking that Goodwill might have something that hideous.

Well, I hope I get as lucky as you, my fender should arrive today.
I like the idea because:
1. there's a TON of cheap front fenders out there
2. If it works-instance bobbed fender, no cutting required. I was thinking a Phantom headlight, with the lense or bulb painted red would make for a cool tail light assembly too.

Digging the hemp grips, what if you use old '10 speed' bar end plugs (used to hold bar tape in place), you may be able to to secure the end of the twine with them? Add a little glue, viola!

Cheers!
Dr .T

ratina said:
I would use some bar plugs (from a road bike)

Also, I would drop the rear fender down and mount it to the bottom of the frame, and lose the brace or remount it.

Thats what I was thinking for the bar ends.

Why do you think that I should remount the fender?

There is a method that fishing rod builders use to put the eyes on a rod. I looked and I guess they build them differant now. They stick a string loop in a few loops before you get to the end and then stick you wrap in the loop and pull where its under the other and held buy the loop. Look on youtube under rod wrapping and they have videos so you will understand.

Uncle Stretch said:
There is a method that fishing rod builders use to put the eyes on a rod. I looked and I guess they build them different now. They stick a string loop in a few loops before you get to the end and then stick you wrap in the loop and pull where its under the other and held buy the loop. Look on youtube under rod wrapping and they have videos so you will understand.

You know, I actually thought of that. But I know from experience that I wouldn't be able to get the twine as tight and even as just wrapping it. Im a perfectionist, and if I cant get it right the first time, I'll keep working on it!

Ive got an idea, but I dont have the time to work on it right now! Gettin' college edumacated takes a lot of time away from bike building, unfortunately.

Thanks though, Stretch!

An idea for the hand grips. I did mine the same way, in just minutes they unwound. Take a skiny 26, 27 inch tire tube and use that for the under grip, then add the twine. Wrap really tight, then un-cork two wine bottles and use them as your end caps. My latest build uses 700c tubes for the grips. On the old tubes there are the patches still there.
S5003122.jpg

S5003269.jpg

Sinner4 said:
An idea for the hand grips. I did mine the same way, in just minutes they unwound. Take a skiny 26, 27 inch tire tube and use that for the under grip, then add the twine. Wrap really tight, then un-cork two wine bottles and use them as your end caps. My latest build uses 700c tubes for the grips. On the old tubes there are the patches still there.

I already ran into that, so what im going to do is smear a thin layer of rubbery adhesive (something similar to caulk) on the bars beforehand. Then wrapping the twine over that. It would secure the twine from stretching over time, and take some stress off of the end of it.

I just found out tonight that beer bottlecaps are almost the same size as my bar ends. I think i'll be using that idea!

I finally finished this build up last night. I coated the area where the handgrips were to be installed in a very thin coating of clear glue (its like a really adhesive caulk, it doesn't dry hard). Then I wrapped the twine nice and tight. I couldn't decide on any bar plugs at the LBS, so i ground some out of a solid piece of bamboo.

img046.jpg

img048.jpg

img044.jpg

And thats that! Its always nice to finish up a build, but then there is the listlessness of having nothing to work on. Im sure that i'll find something to build soon!

Back