Another Cranbrook build *Finished (?)*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Boring I know. But this will be my first build that is anything more than parts swapping. I bought a cranbrook as a donor for the forks, bars, and fenders for my wifes bike i put together recently. Since I had the frame left and some cool wheels with a sweet paint job I thought i would see if i could throw something together for myself to cruise around on. I will try to keep this thread updated as i work on it but it might take a while. I also have a 2 month old to help take are of :D Enjoy the process and any suggestions are appreciated! 8)
Wheels wrapped with some 26X3 Kenda Flames
IMG_1298.jpg

Rolling chassis mock up with the springer fork
IMG_1297.jpg

Rear dropout extensions i fabbed and cut today, not finished yet so don't judge! :lol:
IMG_1296.jpg

Bars
IMG_1295.jpg

Sheet metal inserts/ blank off plates for faux tank and seat stays behind the seatpost.
IMG_1292.jpg

Front view
IMG_1291.jpg

Cranbrook seat stripped of it's cover, and the old cover was used for a pattern for the one I sewed out of some old burlap bags from long ago trips to the islands.
IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1187-1.jpg

Re: Another Cranbrook build

Finally got some time to work on the bike a little. Got most of the body work done Friday and got a coat of primer on it. Still working on smoothing out a couple spots and filling in the spot where the "tank" meets the downtube cause i messed it up the first time. :?

New dropouts
IMG_1517.jpg

Filled in area behind/under the seatpost
IMG_1515.jpg

Front view
IMG_1514.jpg

Side view
IMG_1512.jpg

Finally got some more done:
First coats of gloss orange on the frame
IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

Bars and seat post hanging there in the back also. Metallic Navy Blue to try and match the wheels.
IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

Finally got the seat cover finished too.
IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

Need to let everything cure, for a couple days then wet sand and shoot clear.

Just went back and looked at the whole bike, and the way it sits. Going to make a NICE looking bike! I never would have thought those two colors would've looked good....I stand corrected.

Looking good! Nice job on all of the mods, but I really like how the seat turned out! :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I am having a blast playing with this "build" and have grand ideas for the next one. :D

Sounds cool enough. Did you do thos pintrips on that refrigerator?

Bikeguy7497 said:
Sounds cool enough. Did you do thos pintrips on that refrigerator?

nope, i just rebuilt it and painted it flat black, buddy of mine striped it for me. That is the beer fridge! :mrgreen:

Got some metallic blue on the fake tank today, still need to do some wet sanding and some orange touch up around the seat stays and behind the seat post before clear. Also planning on throwing some black or chrome around the blue to clean up the lines a little. Got a little anxious though, see the last pic. :cry:
IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

Got in a hurry and the last coat of orange wasn't completely dry and part of the left side wrinkled on me, you can see the marks in the orange from the masking :?
IMG_2008.jpg

My wife said,"Well think of it as a learning experience" thanks honey! :?

Re: Another Cranbrook build *Updated 1/2/11*

FOUND OBJECTS said:
Did you mix paint brands?

Nope, all rustoleum. I am thinking i didn't let the orange cure enough or i didn't wipe it down well enough. I didn't do an alcohol wipe because i didn't want it to peel the masking. Next time i will wipe it down before i mask it off and wear rubber gloves while masking.

it doesnt look too bad.i probally wouldnt even notice it.BTW i love the color combo seeing how orange is my favorite color. :mrgreen:

I've rarely had luck painting Rustoleum over Rustoleum. It usually crinkles.

knicks colors do a white line on your tank around the blue

Still needs a chain, broke my cheapo chain breaker and i have never had to splice a chain before so i am not exactly sure how to do it. Here it is, not sure if I am finished with it or not, it still looks like it is missing something. I did decide to paint the chainguard metallic blue and put it on but it isn't painted yet, only primered. Anyway, here she is!
IMG_2416-1.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

Latest posts

Back