another day at the bone yards

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have bought from them before..some hoarders dont sell for any amount of money...so u keep in good contact with them...these owners of these yards are 80 years old and love bikes as do I .... they enjoy me coming and sitting talking bikes with them and i hope in time they will start to let some more go

zigzagsworld said:
i have bought from them before..some hoarders dont sell for any amount of money...so u keep in good contact with them...these owners of these yards are 80 years old and love bikes as do I .... they enjoy me coming and sitting talking bikes with them and i hope in time they will start to let some more go

Yeah I know an old gezer like that too but his are 90% kept indoors. He did say he'd sell a FEW of them once but his prices are retail x 10. Very nice collection though.

this one guy has a whole 2 story house full of bicycles and no one has ever gone inside it but him....ive been telling him stories of auctions where another mans life long collections are fought over and sold away...hes is letting me in this fall to try and buy a few

I came across a score like that once many years ago before I joined the site. A junkyard in a small town had a pile of bikes bigger than a Buick! I asked and he said he'd sell the whole pile for $100. I bought them all...Turned out 80% were from the '60's, 70's, and '80's but a few dated back to the 20's and 30's but were all left outside for many years and had freeze cracks, rust, and a few on the bottom just crumbled when you moved them.

Hey - how'd you get those pictures of my back yard ??????

:lol:

You see the same thing with old car hoarders all of the time. If approached about selling they will give you a line like, '...they are going to get around to them some day', even though it seems perfectly obvious that due to age or medical conditions that they NEVER will. It's their stuff so they are free to sit there and let it rot into the ground if they want but it seems like a shame. Half the time they pass away and a relative scraps all of the 'junk' in sort order and it is lost for good.

Seems like the best route to is to always be respectful, polite and never pushy. Leaving a phone number and the occasional casual stop by just to talk and to keep you in their memory can be the best plan.

There is a car hoarder like that in Windfall, I actually went there and put a note in each car I had interest in with my contact info so that when the old geezer dies the kids will see it when moving the cars and hopefully call me or email me. :mrgreen: It's like 8-10 ACRES of cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, and random junk dating back to the 1920's. He's a 4th or 5th generation junkyard holder so I can see how some things are sentimental but you can't restore over 1,000 vehicles so why not sell a few to pay for the rest? I have bought a few things off of him you just got to catch him right when he runs out of beer and is hard up for cash but still sober enough to know who you are. :lol:

Here's a screen grab from google maps to show you what I'm talking about. Those long yellow lego looking things are SCHOOL BUSSES!

Back