Another Gender Reassignment FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work is going to get really slow after x-mas, so I figure why not start on a fun little project. This Murray Sabre Flite just sits around and never gets ridden, time to change this girl into a boy :) . As of right now I'm not sure if I'll just leave everything original paint and try to make the new frame look original, or should I strip everything down and go full custom? I'll figure that out later I guess.

015.jpg

The biggest problem is that the frame is lugged. Not sure if I can zip a section of the lug out and peel it off of the seat tube or what, never messed with one before. The new top bar will be welded into the lug at the top of the seat post, not sure what that'll be like either. I'm thinking about Colson type double curved top tubes, always did like those frames.

014.jpg

I'll post pics as I make some progress :)

Re: Another Gender Reassignment

Just leave the lug as a design element! This will look sweet as Markm would say! the chain guard is awesome.

Took the bike all apart and got a better look at the lugs. It looks like it's just a sleeve slid over the seat tube with very little brazing holding it together. I think with a whiz wheel and a torch it'll peel right off. Now the hard part is going to be the new top tube, there's a lug at the top of the seat tube also where the seat stays meet, not sure if I can just weld to it or if I'm gonna have to drill a hole through the lug into the seat tube. I'll find out soon enough.

I do love the chainguard, gonna be really tough for me to strip that paint off :(

Here's a rough idea of what I want to do. Obviously the bike will not be black with the original white graphics, but it would be cool looking. I have a few paint ideas...

murray-1.jpg

Good looking concept.I have cut a few of the ladies lugged frames up for projects.In most cases I was not able to remove the lugs.insted I just cut the seat tube out below the lug,thus eliminating both lugs and welded in a new tube.Can't wait to see this one,looks neat,good luck.
-Kreep-

Re: Another Gender Reassignment 12/21

Well, decided to see whats inside the lug and found this. Looks like I'll be chopping out this section of the seat tube and using a section of the old top bar for a patch.

005.jpg

Re: Another Gender Reassignment 12/21

Finished up cutting out the lady parts. Hoping to get some free time next week to buy some tubing and fire up the Mig.

005-1.jpg

Re: Another Gender Reassignment 12/29

Made a little more progress this morning. Here's a quick mock up of the new top tubes, hopefully I'll get it all welded up this weekend.

008.jpg

I had the intention of a "factory" looking build, until I started playing around with spare parts. Wanted to lower the front end a little, but don't want a bent springer or curved forks. So why not a 24" fork and front wheel? Not sure if I'll end up using it, but I kinda like it :p

003.jpg

Looks great :wink: Can't wait to see it done :shock:

Re: Another Gender Reassignment 1/1

Got the frame all patched up and the top tubes in, still have to smooth out the welds (my least favorite part). For some reason I keep thinking fenderless and Mopar Plum Crazy :?: Not sure though.

IMG_5555.jpg

Re: Another Gender Reassignment 1/1

looks real good !;but for some reason your pic. is chopped off :?: cant see the front ,

Re: Another Gender Reassignment (rough sketch)

Here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking. Mopar Plum Crazy frame/fork/rims, whitewall Jerald rear slick (fingers crossed that they end up making them), drop stem, mini apes. Gonna try my best to save the chainguard script. I'm not liking the headtube angle with the 24" forks, might tweak the forks forward just a tad.

purplebike.jpg

Re: Another Gender Reassignment (rough sketch)

:shock: awsome :shock:

Back