another new guy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gday all, love the site.love old bikes! Ive been interested in bikes now for about two years, i have 3 old school bmx's, an old "skid kid" from the '80s, a 26" suparoo speedway bike from the 80's, plus a few others. my son and i race cycle speedway here in adelaide at the findon cycle speedway. a few of the fathers at the club are into old bikes aswell, they got me into them, now im addicted! my son races on a 20" vortex from about 1990 and my bike is from around 1985. once i learn how ill post some pics and see if i can get some pics of the other guys bikes too. i know one of them has a cool flat tracker! has anyone heard of a quantum bmx? i think its from the 90's no one has ever heard of one, but i have one. by the way our skid kids are like your klunckers, sort of. any how cool site keep cruisin.

Welcome! Never heard of cycle speedway before! Love speedway, love bicycles, what a great combination! :D Checked out the Findon Cycle Speedway web page, looks like a lot of fun! :)

thanks all, cycle speedway is great fun, even for an old fart like me!! we have our australian title/ championship on next saturday. it is big in Britain and poland, they take it very serios over there, but us aussies are the best in the world. not bad for a state of not even 2million. if any of you find yourselves in adelaide any time you should find us because anyone can rock up and have a ride- all welcome!!! geez i sound like an advertisement

How are you mate,

I was pleased to see your reference to your "skid kid" in your intro. When I was a kid (late 70's) the "skid kid" or "Odd Bod" was pretty popular, cooler than the dragster. The skid kid being a bike with a bigger wheel on the front than on the back.

I'm wondering if the "Skid Kid" was an Australian only trend. Your post is the only reference to "skid kid" on this site, and there are no references to "Odd Bods". Can you post some pics of your Skid Kid for the uninitiated? I'm interested to know if they were common else where, Perhaps they had a different name elsewhere.

I didn't have a skid kid. Instead I built myself something that had a cantilever (dragster) frame painted with a paint brush in british racing green, derailer gears, 20" knobbly tires, cruiser seat and handle bars, chrome racket plate. I did add skid kid shorty mudguards to it though.

The other thing that was cool was to get as many sets of forks as you could get your hands on, cut, weld and join them so that your forks were ridicoulously long. If the cops saw you they would slap an unroad worthiness sticker on the bike.

I built myself a kick bike in the style of the skid kid last weekend, and posted something about it this morning under the thread "road king scooter" Here's a pic
scooter_after_front.jpg

Cheers

gday antipodean, skid kid bikes from the 70's and 80's were mostly 26" but some were 24". most people built their own but a few were made by some companys like ricardo, speedwell and very few by suparoo which is what i have. they wre usually painted with metal flake paint jobs with scroll work and pinstriping most were given a name, my other one is called "black magic". they had no brakes and knobbly trelleborg tyres which are very hard to find now.they also had cow horn handle bars, which could be cut down to make the bike look tougher. the shop bought ones had brakes and a bell which were usually taken off straight away by the owner, but if the cops saw you on your skid kid minus brakes and bell they would let your tyres down so you had to walk home!!

Back