Another newb

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm a 42 year old Manual Arts (Shop) teacher from Queensland, Australia. I'm also a tradesman Coppersmith with 12 years of pipe bending experience.
I've just finished my first bike, a 20" Huffy Bronx frame that I found at the local dump. Everything on the bike except for the tyres and paint was also sourced from the dump.
I had to widen and modify the rear to fit the 24 x 2.5 Hookworm. The paint is a flat light orange done with rattle cans.

This site is awesome, and am now inspired to build a boardtracker style bike (which will be soon as my wife has claimed this one already - just finished it today!).

You guys in the States are so lucky to have great frames available to you. In Australia, all we see are diamond frames (hence the boardtracker style project next).

bike.jpg

That's what everybody outside the states tell us, we are lucky for all the crazy non-diamond shaped frames. If we were smart we'd all go in on an export business and set you up with something special, for a tidy profit of course. It works as long as everyone is happy.

Kudos for you on your resourcefulness to build a bike almost entirely sourced from the dump. Recycling is another area we Americans could improve at, although there certainly hasn't been a shortage of it on this forum, just in terms of the general non-rat rod population.

I've been running 26" Maxxis Hookworms on my old mountain bike I turned into an urban assault vehicle and I absolutely love them-the best tire I ever bought. But one thing to watch out for is that they can get a punctured pretty easily. They've never gone flat on the road, but because they have such a low rounded tread there's been a couple of times where they went flat overnight and I had to ride something else until I patched the hole.

Does a Huffy Bronx frame have cantilevers or did you do that with your pipe bending experience? How did you fill in the tank area? And dude, apehangers. I don't know how easily they are to find in Australia, but your bike is screaming for them. Makes for a great cruiser ride, too.

And...great build bean. Welcome to the site and we're all looking forward to the boardtracker build. If you get a chance throw some ride pics in the "My Neighborhood" section, we all love to see what's it's like for other rat rodders around the globe.

I'm glad other people like this bike. I was pretty happy with the result seeing as it was my first attempt.
I didn't have to do much to this frame. The tank area was already filled in and I didn't touch the rear apart from widening it and removing the brake and fender mounts to fit the 24" wheel. I've got a set of cruiser style bars on order and I'll try them when they turn up, but it is very nice to ride as it is.
I just picked up a 26" MTB frame today from my local supplier (the dump) for a buck for the boardtracker inspired bike.

AND SO IT BEGINS! THEY TEND TO MULTIPLY LIKE BUNNIES! :wink: WELCOME! Look foward to the Boardtracker!
L8 EM

Latest posts

Back