Another swing bike by Graylock

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just can't stop, don't make me, I'll be fine.

Here's another swing bike done in a different style of build than my Huffy Swing Bike http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18706 . This prototype was way to squirrely. Was dangerous to say the least. I extended the forks about 6" and cut the forward frame at the pivot to drop the BB back down to where it was before. Much better. After the trial run down the street my daughter put it in the back seat of her Mustang folded up. She works for a cleaning service and wants to show it off to the summer help. They are mostly from Lithuania and bike to and from the office. These bikes are issued to them by the owner of the cleaning service and then they pile into company cars to the job sites. This swing bike will just blow there minds.

Schwinn Predator BMX bike.
Schwinn_Predator-01.jpg

Damaged tube.
Schwinn_Predator-02.jpg

As she was on the last ride.
Schwinn_Predator-03.jpg

All messed up.
Schwinn_Predator-04.jpg

Going to keep on making these swing bikes till the neighbors complain!

GL

Some guys have suicidal tendencies. They'll just keep trying til they succeed........CJ gets the Huffy "swing".......Put me down for your welder.

KOTA said:
Some guys have suicidal tendencies. They'll just keep trying til they succeed........CJ gets the Huffy "swing".......Put me down for your welder.

Sounds good to me KOTA. My wife is good with that. I assume the Schwinn was never found :shock:

bicycleguy said:
Tape to keep your knees from geting cut up?
Yeah, this last mod was still warm with unground welds. I was tweakin' the geom and was in a hurry to get it rideable before sunset. Got it swinging now 8)

GL

Well two things are going against me right now, I never ridden or seen in person a swing bike, but I'm going to chime in with an opinion on the geometry anyway. It seems to me that if the center pivot were perpendicular to the ground that the swing would not have an effect on the height of the handlebars when swinging and Cody wouldn't fall off and hurt himself like I heard he did on the huffy :shock: :lol: . Here's what I mean:

swingthought.jpg

The schwinn swing bikes have a vertical swing point. I wonder if they cared for Cody's well being also. :wink:

I can't wait to see some of your builds in person. You have a diverse and cool collection of oddities. I mean that as a compliment. 8)

I heard Cody-James got thrown off the swing bike so far he fell off the pier and was attacked by a shark but he was able to punch the shark out.......

thatismytruck said:
Well two things are going against me right now, I never ridden or seen in person a swing bike, but I'm going to chime in with an opinion on the geometry anyway. It seems to me that if the center pivot were perpendicular to the ground that the swing would not have an effect on the height of the handlebars when swinging and Cody wouldn't fall off and hurt himself like I heard he did on the huffy :shock: :lol: . Here's what I mean:

swingthought.jpg

The schwinn swing bikes have a vertical swing point. I wonder if they cared for Cody's well being also. :wink:

I can't wait to see some of your builds in person. You have a diverse and cool collection of oddities. I mean that as a compliment. 8)

Thanks for liken' my bikes.

You do have two things that are going against you but don't take this hard. I too fell into that perpendicular to the ground frame pivot thing. The way I see it, you need a little frame trail as you need fork trail. Set up wrong could mean your butt may touch your forehead. KOTA likes to mess with fork trail and told me you just mussle it around and it's good. Add that to a unstable frame pivot and it's like backing up a Mack truck with tandem trailers. Something like that. This Schwinn Predator Swing bike I made before the changes was very unstable. Now I'm seeing that a fork trail may be slightly more than the frame trail to be stable and to do tricks. I'm still working on that combo.

As to the Schwinng bike, I thought it's frame pivot has a slight tilt towards the front to give it a frame pivot trail. I'll have to make one of those too. It would be so cool to have a frame with adjustable everything so that you could tweak it with a wrench!

Cody has this desire to push any bike he rides. He rode the Huffy the best that day and getting tossed was the Huffy's way of saying "Not today CJ!

IMMHO

GL

No offense taken. This is just a discussion and a learning experience for me. I did a quick photo search and the swing bikes and the "pivot" is not vertical. I was surprised to see it angled opposite to the head tube. huh. Don't know what it means, just pointing it out.
bradwendyrest12.jpg

I was also looking for pictures and found these.

george_aitken_swingbike.jpg

He's riding it but doesn't seem to be a popular design.

zigzag.jpg

Doesn't make it right. This picture leaves me clueless!

I say make a swing bike and swing your leg over and be one with the universe.

GL

Some more pictures.

DSC02061a.jpg

DSC02063a.jpg

Beki is going to paint entire wheels, cranks and chain wheel, and bars glossy black. She is picking out grips and seat. She also wants Sweetskinz SZ-1 tires but the aren't available in the US?

GL

She makes it look soooooo easy!

Yes she does KOTA. She had competed as an Ice skater when she was about 6 years old. She spent 4 years in high school as a cheer leader being the one that was thrown into the air. She is one darring sole..............just like her father.

GL

That mild look of amusement on her face while she is riding something..... ehhhh, Miss, what is that thing? Looks dangerous!
A bit of video maybe?
Seems you where right about the angle of the frame pivot.
O, and yes, I like it.

C.S. said:
That mild look of amusement on her face while she is riding something..... ehhhh, Miss, what is that thing? Looks dangerous!
A bit of video maybe?
Seems you where right about the angle of the frame pivot.
O, and yes, I like it.

Thanks for liken'
Got video? Three so far................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrLTJJzCT4 ....................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQqKk2bNbkc ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ_6it8m8Ao This is posted in the Huffy Swing bike thread in a link at the front of this thread.
Both my two daughters and I ride these bikes. You Amsterdamians must have these around :wink: Be the first on your block!

GL

Dude your daughter is rad!!My 16 year old daughter wont have anything to do with biking.Im thinkin of building two 16'' swing bikes for my 2 sons!They are 5 and 6,could you imagine watching 2 little kids on the bike path at the beach ridin at you sideways!Haha,gotta get the welder from my buddie.

Back