Any air-cooled vw owners out there?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baron von Zach said:
Does this count?

P1290124.jpg

And no, I don't own it anymore.

Very nice. 8)

Why do you not own it anymore? Lovin' the Merc too!!

ps I was born and bred up the road from you in Northenden. :D

alan67 said:
Why do you not own it anymore? Lovin' the Merc too!!

If you look like me, you don't need a Porsche :D
Nah, actually I sold it to the Mercedes owner. The photo was taken when he picked it up. I'm not really into German cars.

alan67 said:
ps I was born and bred up the road from you in Northenden. :D

That's about as far as any of my cars make it without something breaking.

coolant schmoolant! :wink:
i have 2
heres my 1969 beetle ( pardon the dust , this was a pic shot after his long winter slumber. hadnt been washed yet )

1230_zps8ce2e207.jpg

1229_zpsaf37d88a.jpg

and heres my 1966 camper

DSCF0403_zps57bffea0.jpg

DSCF0007_zps7fc6f0ff.jpg

I have a custom bug. Here's how it looks as it sits now besides the hood is on. It never seems to put itself together.

bug11911.jpg

Right now I'm trying to find the energy to start back on it, between work, family, my Corvair van, bikes and life in general it doesn't get much attention right now.

Here's my other aircooled, '63 Corvair van (Corvan).

yaktentonvan.jpg

Cruisenighttenttrailer.jpg

2012-07-04_15-46-23_439.jpg

Also have a few to many trailers, 4 to be exact. A '67 Apache pop up, Heilite single wheel tent trailer, Sears Allstate two wheel trailer, Sears Allstate single wheel trailer. :)

My past Volkswagens:
1958 Ragtop
1964 Bug
1965 Bug
1965 11 window Bus
1967 Bug
1968 Bug
1969 Bug
I just sold a '63 Ragtop that I was restoring and I currently have a '65 that I'll never let go of.

I've had a few here is my 64 Splittie when I first got her and when I let her go, a sad day!
pb021148.jpg
pb021154.jpg

My ex Australian Army 74 Bay window, was into bikes back then too.
pb021159.jpg
pb021155.jpg

Had a Baja too had a warm 1700cc engine went like crazy, bit of a beast!
pb021172.jpg
pb021165.jpg

Don't have one at the moment but pulled a J & S buggy body out of the bush a couple of years back, the pan was gone but
have the engine box and beam for parts, will have another one day, currently my VW ride the Dub-cycle see link below*
pa221079.jpg
pb061200.jpg

The Dub-cycle my current and only VW ride.
p4165138.jpg
p4155084.jpg

*Link to Dub-cycle build viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55616

Sweet bike! I've always loved VW's owned several and might be looking at a '70 baywindow bus here soon. Wish me luck!

I have always dreamed of taking a VW Microbus and chopping the heck out of it.... Lower it, chop the top, lower the roof racks, Rat Rod paint job, some fuzzy dice on the mirror, and a 2332cc Dual port crate engine. Look something like this:
baywindowbus_zps302138a3.jpg

^^^ looks cool

to me, Your VW... your rules

but you go choppin up a splittie, be prepared for the haters :wink:

with that being said, I always wanted to do pretty much the same thing, only make it a short bus! lol

EDIT... just realized you mocked up a Bay window, in that case.... its all good, carry on 8)

Yeah I've seen a few short busses, those are cool. I'd never cut up a splitty though, unless it was to stretch it, I'd grab a baywindow for the build. As far as motor goes yeah it'd be a bit overkill but it'd sound nice :mrgreen: I did loose the rear vent from behind the window and added vents like the pickups and splitty buses had on the rendering. That's probably what threw you off. I've got it built in my head right down to the floor mats and don't even own it yet.

As far as interior goes I'd go with this layout but instead of green and white I'd go with black vinyl, white piping, and red stitching.

image_zps8e97e578.jpg

There used to be a local salvage yard here that specialized in VW's.... probably 40 acres or so, It was a real treasure trove that I didnt fully appreciate at the time. Apparently the owner didn't either because he must have got bored with them, so he sent ALL of them to the crusher. I guess he switched over to Toyota's or something.

But... I did remember seeing one section of the yard that was nothing but splittie busses, there was even a 23 window in there, Wish I would have had the brains to grab it up because on one of my last trips there, I saw where they cut it up and turned it into some kind of Frankenstein limo bus, complete with a Mercedes grille! This was back in the late 80's ahhh, if I knew then what I know now, I would be a rich man!.

They cut up a 23 window splitty?!? :cry:

There are 3 places I turn to for all my VW needs. 2 are right here in Kokomo, one the guy is a hoarder and wants 10x retail for anything he's got but if you need a rare part he's got it. The second the owner passed on and his son got everything and has a pretty good selection of bug parts and an old Ghia that someone cut the top off of and he prices stuff really reasonably. Then the third is a friend of mine that lives out of town but has more VW parts and cars than anyone else I know (Over 100 air cooled motors in his barn loft and has everything from beetles, buses, squarebacks, rabbits, golfs, gti's, jettas, caddys, sciroccos, foxes, you name it, he's probably got it or knows where to find it)

I had this 1973 VW Thing back in the day with my cool acid wash jeans!

IMG_0003.jpg

Here is Flexy in front of someone's cool rat rod VW Bus

aIMG_8642.jpg

and in front of a Karman Ghia
b1WP_000506.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
They cut up a 23 window splitty?!? :cry:

I believe after they turned it into a Frankenbus... they never fully finished it out, which was pretty common for them.

Thats pretty bad, but the worse part..... Since it was never finished, Im pretty sure it got crushed with everything else.

Ive seen some of the rust piles that some people use as a starting point for restoration, and Ive seen how much a mangled shell is going for... this one was a creampuff compared to that!

New to RATRODBIKES.COM....picked this up tonight and we can't wait to start this build!
405789320.jpg

However, not new to aircooled VW's....here's our 57 OVAL window at Sonic!
405789317.jpg

I was not surprised to see this thread in a bike forum, they just mesh!

Back