any hints on trying to make your own handlebars?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the bike pinoyratrodder posted, the bomber chopper. lets see if i can get a pic to work
MYBOMBERNIRVE1copy.jpg

one of my chopper project has really similar geometry and bars like this would work great except angled back a little more.

i got it in my head to try and make them. got a half baked start already but figured i see if there were any hints or whatever to know about. thanks for any help.

I have some chrome motorcycle bars that are real close to those, just a little taller. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

super rough setup

Picture148.jpg

Picture147.jpg

the clamped part is from one of those occ chopper handlebars and the upright part is a fork leg from an occ chopper also. the handlebar part is the same occ handlebar i just stuck in place to take the pic and try out for lenth. they'd almost work but i cut them pretty rough since i wasn't planning on using them, plus they'd be better 3-6" longer. i'm reaching a little too much at this lenth.

i wasn't sure how to work out the angle and get it right on both sides so i just went with 45deg. i think it'll work. probaly better would have been to have them a little wider then have the bars curve back, but i'd have definitly been over my head then.

i really like them. i was just trying to tack them a bit, but my welds weren't staying (maybe the chrome?) so if i stay with this i may look for a real welder to finish them for me. for some reason i'm more scared of a broke weld on handlebars.

the reason why i'd really like this to work

Picture149.jpg

Picture143.jpg

another stolen idea. they're triathlon brake levers that go in the end of the bar, so except for a little cable showing coming out the other end the bar will be really clean, with at the most a small mirror (but i'll let form follow function on that decision though).

so now i'm keeping an eye out for maybe some used apes for longer pieces or connect up a few shorter pieces with sleeves. or anyone know where you can get like raw stock that's the right size? i figure i need 3'. the bikes far from done so i have time to look for what i think will work for me.

Latest posts

Back