Any Members in Oahu?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm wondering if there are any members of RRB in Oahu? I'm planning a trip and would like to do some biking. Are there any good bike paths?

I have a timeshare in Kapaa on Kauai... I might be the closest there is! There is a heck of a nice bike path there though!

Well I'll tell ya, everything old (like, a few years!) is rusty there. If the bikes are like the cars, best bet is to ship stuff from the mainland.
On Kauai you do see beach cruisers, so basic raw material for a proper rat ride exists. Here in Seattle you don't even see those, it's all roadies and mtn bikes. You know, that function-over-form nonsense.

Well I'll tell ya, everything old (like, a few years!) is rusty there. If the bikes are like the cars, best bet is to ship stuff from the mainland.
On Kauai you do see beach cruisers, so basic raw material for a proper rat ride exists. Here in Seattle you don't even see those, it's all roadies and mtn bikes. You know, that function-over-form nonsense.
My daughter lives in Portland, so the roadies and mtn bikes abound there too. I looked at CL there and there are a few cruisers for sale cheap. Someone there is selling Schwinns from the 60's and 70's for top dollar. $500 for a Typhoon? They also have what looks like bike junkyards, I'll be scrounging all those places when I get there. That's half the fun. Pulling up an old Elgin or Huffman or Rollfast from the bottom of a pile of walmart frames would be like the holy grail.
F4P3VCHGXL5UPFO.RECT2100.jpg

Man that's a whole can of worms, the hoards of people trying to sell garden-variety Schwinns for stupid money. Around here every cruiser style Schwinn for sale is a "1957".
Most cruisers I see on CL are Walmart types with asking prices the same or more than you can order a new one for! People are watching too many "reality" TV shows.

From what I saw on CL, it looks like one person bought up all the old Schwinns on the Island, shined them up, and are hoping to corner the market. Half of what is asked is about the right price.
In Oahu, from what I've read, there are many bike thieves, mostly the homeless, who are grabbing what they can. Wheels, handlebars, and seats are stolen quite a bit, anything that can be unbolted. They recommend any used bike for sale be checked to see if it has been reported stolen. There's a big market for used bikes in Oahu.
Parts, especially wheels are harder to keep track of. Anytime I see a bike with a paint job that shows it wasn't taken apart before painting it, I suspect a stolen bike.

From what I saw on CL, it looks like one person bought up all the old Schwinns on the Island, shined them up, and are hoping to corner the market. Half of what is asked is about the right price.
In Oahu, from what I've read, there are many bike thieves, mostly the homeless, who are grabbing what they can. Wheels, handlebars, and seats are stolen quite a bit, anything that can be unbolted. They recommend any used bike for sale be checked to see if it has been reported stolen. There's a big market for used bikes in Oahu.
Parts, especially wheels are harder to keep track of. Anytime I see a bike with a paint job that shows it wasn't taken apart before painting it, I suspect a stolen bike.
2.50 Magna great devide original.JPG
:crazy:

Hmm that's to bad about theft issue, I was going ask if bike flights was not an option to get a ride out there... Then realized currently not in states maybe when your closer to have your itinerary down something could be arranged.
Sounds like an awsome trip..
May have an extra convert-o-bike soon but it's met with equal amounts of enthusiasm and concern seeing a grown man using it as a scooter to get around...

My daughter lives in Portland, so the roadies and mtn bikes abound there too. I looked at CL there and there are a few cruisers for sale cheap. Someone there is selling Schwinns from the 60's and 70's for top dollar. $500 for a Typhoon? They also have what looks like bike junkyards, I'll be scrounging all those places when I get there. That's half the fun. Pulling up an old Elgin or Huffman or Rollfast from the bottom of a pile of walmart frames would be like the holy grail.
Its possible, but not too likely. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of old cruisers in Oregon. I would guess a relatively low population and a perpetual crappy economy kept them from shipping many out here :(.

I spent most of my school years here in Oregon in the 70s and 80s...and don't ever remember seeing a decked out muscle bike (except for some Western Flyer RamRods...I guess that is a musclebike) or any kind of snazzy cruiser that gets posted regularly on this site. The existence of such things has been a revelation in my adult life thanks to the internerd :happy:.

We vacationed in Oahu a couple years ago...I would never choose to go back. The bum problem is out of control...and crime is off the charts. I much prefer the Big Island...has a much more rural, slower paced, feel to it (though we did encounter some 'Free Hawaiians' here and there :().

Jason

Oahu was handing out free airline tickets to try to get them to leave. Even though the main complaint was not able to afford to fly back, very few took the free ride. The tent cities move as the cops run them away from tourists line of vision, but they move around to another beach. Then they are trying to get more low rent housing for those who work, but can't afford high rent. Those that refuse that are either doing drugs or can't have their identities known. And it is a nice place to live, even in a tent on a beach. I have a friend in Maui I served with years ago in the Navy, but my housing is already taken care of on Oahu (No, not a tent:21:) so I'll probably be there for at least a couple years while I finish college.

I figured we would have a few RRB members there.

Not alot of bragging up Hawaii here in this thread is there? :wondering:
Our first trip was to the Big Island...I loved it, the Wife loved it, the younger daughter loved it...the older daughter was going through her emo phase, she hated everything :headbang:(She's over it now...she's a hipster ;)). If we go again, it will be the Big Island, or Kauai...just not Oahu.

Jason

Aloha ,i live on oahu,im new to RRB still learning the experience joined for more knoweldge and just seeing cool bikes .i build motorised bikes for myself but with the motor troubles lately its becoming coastly to maintain them all ,went riding yesterday in laie with friend who has some nice fakegasframefelts but are awesome running bikes went for the rides but also to work on mine ,got it running but needs help ,heres another i have Nirve Switchblade motorised.
9d514f15afcfaa4998178a854303aab8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Well, finally some else on RRB here in Hawaii!
I earlier posted about trying to find a decent old bike, and in the 3 months I've been here, I found a 1942 Hawthorne (Snyder made), an 80's Earth Cruiser, and a 97 Dyno Glide. So I can't complain. It's a little hilly here in Mililani, so I take my bike to where it's flat, one of the bases, or the North Shore. Lots of places to ride. I don't use a motor, I need to exercise, or I'll look like this guy (at Ka'ena Point):

17634311_10155175355616737_5145390146750521854_n.jpg

Yeah ive been to see them lazy sun basking seals too ,almost jumped on one thought he,was a rock ,lol,but not many old,old bikes from my looking on C.L. but a few are out there ,seen Gt dynos think was retroglide crusier on the street have even left note one one
Got a call back but guy loved his bike ,wasnt able to make offer at the time but think he may sell if offer is good .lots of bikes out of kailua i noticed and jailua is all flat land good for rides to the beach .
2cae46c7ad307c82f904bdea1f9ca225.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

We went to maui 10 years ago. I thought it was awesome. I called my mom and told her if I could find a job in the time we were there, she'd be selling our house and shipping the dogs to us.

It is awesome. I'll post up some more pics from rides in the "my neighborhood" section in a week or two. As for Maui, I plan to visit an old friend who lives there, and also take a ride on each island over the next couple years. This was from a hike I took yesterday:

17884351_10155217127781737_7530443961584998570_n.jpg

That's awesome. I was looking at jobs for a while there, and at one time there was a small cruise line looking for a welder. I did apply, they told me to come In for an interview. That would have been an expensive interview, from NJ.

Back