Any Shimano 3xx rear hub experts out there?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 2 Sears Brittany Free Spirit bikes - a his and a hers - and they each came with Shimano 3CC 3 speed hubs on them.

When I ride the ladies bike and do not pedal with pressure, the hub freewheels and when you go to pedal again it seems to slip until it finally catches and stops freewheeling. So you seem to hit a dead spot for a second until it tightens up.

When I ride the mens bike I can stop pedaling, let it freewheel, and then begin pedaling again and I don't feel that same "dead spot" before it catches. It seems smooth like my Nexus 3 speed.

So I wondered if there is some type of adjustment or something in the rear end that would cause one to do that and the other one to feel okay.

If you have any ideas or have run into this situation before, let me know.

Thanks.

Probably 333's, but the engraving on them says 3CC.

Since a C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet, I guess a 3CC is the equivalent of a 333. :lol:

Here's a shot of the rear end.

IMG_1488.jpg

They don't have oil or grease zerks, so I assume you must have to pull them apart to add more oil. Any tricks to doing that?

Now that I see the Stamp..
I HAVE seen a 3CC

I've never Broken into one to see what's up.

I Just aquired a Shimano 333 that my Dad Picked up from a Friend.
I can Bench Test it and see if it works well

( most Likely does ) and it will be for sale.
It would be an Upgrade to the 3CC

PM me if yur interested,
Kev.

this is all i found on the subject

Some of these hubs have a grease or oil port, and others can be lubed to an extent by removing the bell crank on the end of the axle, pulling out the plunger, and squirting some reasonably heavy oil in there

thats the shifter so i suppose you take it off then the plunger tip the bike and squirt oil in it?

Thanks everyone.

I will play around with it and see if I can add some oil to it through the shifter end like Hooch mentioned. If not, then I may check out the diagram and see what would need to be taken apart to allow me to add the oil.

It works and shifts okay otherwise, but it just feels weird when you let up pedaling for a minute and then pedal again and it slips before it catches and goes. So hopefully a little extra oil will resolve the issue.

I've worked on a lot of the old 3 speed hubs shimano's and sturmey's. When it slips like that, you need to adjust the cable screw at the hub just a little bit. The rule of thumb is to put it in second gear and adjust it until you can see the little "N" in the window on the hub's bell crank. Then fine tune from there.

Thanks, T T.

I will try putting a little more oil in it - and then playing around with the cable adjustment and see if one or the other helps.

Cable adjustment and shooting a bit of oil thru the gear plunger hole are the first steps, then ride it for a while. If it still slips it may be a broken pawl spring or a stuck pawl. They can be torn down and cleaned. I usually use Simple green, then put back together with light weight motor oil. AFAIK parts are not available, so if something is broken internally you are out of luck.

Aaron 8)

Back