Any thoughts of what to do with an old Schwinn Sidewinder?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'll be picking up a 1982 Sidewinder tonight. Not really fond of these bikes but I can't turn it down for the money. It is nice but has some shifting issues. I do like the forks and wheels...would be cooler if it was a single speed.

Since it is a straight tube frame and it will take some large 26" tires...it might make a cool retro single speed cruiser. Or maybe "BMX" it a little more??

Any thoughts or ideas? (yeah the fenders are coming off :shock: )

B1tKDgEWkKGrHqEOKjMEM-dBvfSBMcuLWDgGQ_35.jpg

Since that's basically a mild steel version of the King Sting, I'd be likely to make it single-speed like you said, and play up the BMX vibe. An oval or rectangular number plate on those bars and a Tuf Neck power disc on the cranks would be awesome. Anybody re-pop Snakebelly tires?

Single speed bmx cruiser would be cool. I just picked up one of these and plan on restoring. Mine had little use as the tires still have the nubbins.

I would love to convert to single speed and do away with the gear cluster....but no idea how. I did a little reading and it made my head spin! :?

If you decide to go with a single speed build, be sure to save all the old parts. The AG rear derailleur, wide ratio freewheel, spoke guard, and shifters are fairly scarce and sought after by old-school mountain bike collectors.

it's like a bmx mountain cruiser, kinda like a mosh of three different types of parts......Schwinn's first trial at a rat bike? :mrgreen: 8)

Rustinkerer said:
I saw that on ebay. I thought it sure looks weird with chrome cruiser fenders on a mtb!

Yeah that and the saddle....grabbed some wrenches and a screwdriver as soon as I got home. 8)

S6303631.jpg

S6303629.jpg

The fenders might go on a rat rod cruiser....minus the plastic reflector. Still no idea what I'm going to do with it but the old bike rides great other than the shift cables are binding bad.

I had a chance to wash up the Sidewinder tonight....it's is farily good shape. I rode it and tried to adjust the rear derailleur but it looks tweaked....got it to shift but derails on back pedal. The wheel seems fine...I just think the derailleur is jacked up.

It really rides about like my Schwinn Frontier so I see not point in keeping it as is. I may part it out on ebay or try to sell it at the show coming up in Murfreesboro Tn next month.

I'm thinking 2 of these gotta go...but not the Challenger. That bike is a blast. :D

S6303632.jpg

predfan2001 said:
I had a chance to wash up the Sidewinder tonight....it's is farily good shape. I rode it and tried to adjust the rear derailleur but it looks tweaked....got it to shift but derails on back pedal. The wheel seems fine...I just think the derailleur is jacked up.

It really rides about like my Schwinn Frontier so I see not point in keeping it as is. I may part it out on ebay or try to sell it at the show coming up in Murfreesboro Tn next month.

I'm thinking 2 of these gotta go...but not the Challenger. That bike is a blast. :D

S6303632.jpg

What kind of derailer? I probably have a spare laying around I'd sell you cheap.

predfan2001 said:
All I see on it is Suntour AG
I think I got one, My Murry Explorer Mt. bike was all Suntour. I'll look in the morning. How many speed is it and could I get a pic for comparison?

outskirtscustoms said:
predfan2001 said:
All I see on it is Suntour AG
I think I got one, My Murry Explorer Mt. bike was all Suntour. I'll look in the morning. How many speed is it and could I get a pic for comparison?

10 speed. This thing is as crooked as a car salesman. I worked with it but it seems to be screwed. Pic sucks...camera is junk. :|

S6303637.jpg

This one is about the same, the arm is a bit less streamlined on mine but the cable runs the exact same way and the configuration is about identical. This one is a Suntour "U" My camera sucks too....lol.
Forgot the pic
P8170050.jpg

and here's one of it on the bike
P7240116.jpg

Call me crazy...but I really just want the frame and forks from this bike. I think I am going to list the frt wheel on Ebay to start and see if it sells. If so all else will go. I am thinking this frame has potential for a nice bike....the value of a Sidewinder just isn't there. Time will tell. :?

predfan2001 said:
Call me crazy...but I really just want the frame and forks from this bike. I think I am going to list the frt wheel on Ebay to start and see if it sells. If so all else will go. I am thinking this frame has potential for a nice bike....the value of a Sidewinder just isn't there. Time will tell. :?

good call. besides, i don't think anything but an ag r. der will work with that 38t big cog, so most used ders would just lead to frustration. i'm doing the same with a slightly older one. these things show up so often maybe rrb needs a sidewinder buildoff...... :mrgreen:

Mocking the Sidewinder frame up with an old cruiser wheel....chain alignment is silghtly off but the chain stays on. I think all I'll have to do is put some spacers on the other side. The frame is a bit wider that the axle so that should do it.

Yep that worked for the chain alignment....then not 1 frt wheel I had fit these tubular forks (I sold the Ukai rim and ACS hub that came with it). Sick of screwing with this one....guess I'll sell off everything else and move on with other projects.

Back