Any tips on cutting and shortening cables

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new cable from the LBS and it came with a nice little soldered or welded tip on it - no bigger than the cable width itself - which made it easy to slide it through the cable housing.

The problem is what to do when the cable is way too long and you want to cut off the excess. Any time I cut one I end up with a bunch of frayed wires that you can never get to stay together or get to go back through a housing.

The other time I run into a similar issue is when I have a cable that has a metal tip mashed onto the end of it and the tip is way too big to go back through the housing. If that's the case, I have to cut that metal tip off - again, resulting in a frayed cable that probably can't be used again.

So I wondered if anyone had any tips on what to do on that.

Is it possible to solder the wire where you want to cut it and then cut it right after your solder spot? And can you even solder it? The wire is probably stainless and I'm not sure what type of solder would stick to that.

So if you have any tips on what to do on it, please pass them along. Thanks.

If you're getting frayed wires when you're cutting the cable, then your cutting tool isn't very good. Quality cutting pliers in good shape should cut a cable and leave a nice pristine tip.

You can try to solder the edge, or put some drops of krazy-glue on it, to stop the fraying.

When the fraying gets out of hand and you can't twist the wires back into place with your fingers, then you just have to cut an inch of the end of the cable. Or you can try to use a metal tip that's made for brake cables- they have a larger diameter than metal tips for gear cables, and will tolerate more fraying while sliding on. I've seen a few electrical conectors used as makeshift "metal tips". They're easy to slide on and come in cool colors! Good luck!

Hugo

Use cable cutters, they are available from Park Tools or you may be able to find some in the tool section of your local home center. As far as the keeping the ends from fraying, you can solder them back after cutting (use flux and paste solder) or you could buy a bag of the little crimp caps from your LBS. On really big cables(1/4"+....you can cut them with a torch and it will keep them from unraveling :p :lol:

Aaron 8)

I have just used regular wire cutters and then I put a new tip on the end and crimp it. The LBSs sell the little tips that you use to crimp on the ends.

I also use the wire cutters to cut casings too. If they get out of round after the cut then I take a scratch awl and ream it out a bit. I'll also file down the end if it's rough.

I've been using channellock 308 cable cutters. I've also used the felco C7. If I needed to buy another I'd get the Park cn-10.

Soldered ends work, but I just use plastic ferrel ends from the bike shop.

if you can afford it get yourself a set of felco cutters. you would be amazed at what they can cut. anytime a customer comes in the shop wanting to buy a cable lock for their bike i tell them they can be cut very easy. they say how easy and i have an old cut cable lock i keep around for a demonstration. i whip it out and my felcos and in one cut your bike is mine. they normally go for the u lock. as for your cables yea it is all about the cutters and once you cut the housing make sure there are no metal edges hanging down where the iner cable will run.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. It sounds like I need to spring for a good set of cutters. I guess my "dollar store" ones are the problem.

I will also look for some of those crimp ends next time I'm at the LBS.

I place the outer case in a vise. then use a dremel with a cutoff
wheel(i like the fiberglass wheels best). Best to hold the loose end.
DON'T FORGET THE SAFTY GLASSES!!!
makes a nice clean cut . also remove any burrs from the inside of
the cable. then thread in the inner cable . untill i'm sure i am done with the build, i'll will just wrap the inner cable into a 1 to 1.5 inch coil(usualy will have at least 6 in left over. when i do cut the inner cable i use a nice pair of wire cutters. and yes this will eat the wire cutters up over time. and last crimp on a cable end
i have also cut ihe inner cable like the outer case with dremel tool
don't know what i would do with out it.
hope this helps
mike

I use cable cutters and solder with elec. solder it has its own flex in it. Just make sure to whip it off while its hot so you can slide it through the casing if you need to. One if my LBSs laughed when they saw it , then wanted to sell me the little metal ends. HAHAHA no thanks.

Back