Any way to build an even cheaper "fixie"?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rat Rod said he would like to try building a "fixie" sometime, so I bought him a cheap road bike the other day to use for his build.

I was thinking about Multipass' article about building a fixie and Multipass mentioned that you needed a "track" cog to replace the rear freewheel cog set on the bike - and that the track cog was the highest priced part of his project - costing more than the bike itself.

I haven't taken apart a rear freewheel cog set so I have no idea how they work or how they come apart, but it seems to me that some part has to be fixed to the rear axle and the cog set has to rotate around that part and catch in one direction but freewheel in the other.

So it seems like you should be able to find where those two parts come together and tack weld them or something so that it can no longer freewheel - making it "fixed".

If you could do that, then you could just use the freewheel cog set that was already on the bike and pick whichever cog you wanted to use to get the gearing how you wanted it - or to end up with the proper chain alignment - and you would then be good to go.

So maybe one of you experienced bike guys who's had tons of freewheel cog sets apart could say whether that is doable or not. If so, it would make for a super cheap "fixie" and save the trouble of buying a track cog.

Just to clarify: the track cog I used was $30 - BUT that's here in Canada where bike parts are more expensive (sometimes 2x to 3x the U.S. cost :shock:) The bike I used was $10 at a garage sale, making it the cheapest part of my fixie build LOL. Just about everything I've put on the bike since then has cost as much, or more than the original bike. My cheapo Canadian Tire replacement chain cost more than the original bike :roll:

You can get track cogs for ~$10 from online shops in the U.S.

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/view.asp?f_c=Track+Cog

Welding up freewheels to "fix" them is a viable option too. I have also heard of JB Weld being used to fix a freewheel, but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how good long term durability is with this method.

Hope this helps

-Mp

Thanks Multipass, I guess going with a track cog might not be too bad afterall.

And Hugo, thanks for pointing out the prior post on welding up a cog. I guess Rat Rod can decide which way he wants to go once he gets the donor bike and decides what to do with it.

By the way, Multipass, today CDN is going for about 1.04 USD, so almost the same now. I waited until the conversion rates were at their worst to visit Quebec City earlier this month! :lol: Seems to always work out like that for me.

Back