Any way to fix a busted reflector lens?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Don't know what I'm doing, gonna do it anyway.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a teardrop reflector on my super cruiser build, one of the lenses is cracked and has a small piece missing.
I don't currently have a pic of it, but does anyone have any ideas how to fix it; or can it be fixed?

Here's a shot of the reflector.
12621ae4d4febddf1ef96b3e444fef26.jpg

There are ways to accomplish this using tinted two-part resin. I expect it would be quite a craft project for anyone not used to the mold making process. On the bright side, you have one good lens that can be used as the pattern.

Me...I'm not that ambitious, so I'd probably just patch the broken spot with epoxy and then cover both lenses with 3M reflective tape.

Plastic, I imagine? There's a resin you can use to reproduce it. Try a company called Smooth-On, though there are probably others.

It looks like the left and right are the same, so you could make a mold of the good one and reproduce it (or even make two new ones so you don't have to worry about matching the other old one perfectly).

I don't know what was so difficult about that.
I've been working with mold making materials for a while, still trying to reproduce spaceliner lenses and fender ornaments.

I'll see what hobby lobby has when I get home next week.

Thanks for the input.

I would be tempted to buy a larger reflector, use the good one as a pattern and cut/dremel it to size....but that's me....[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was actually my first thought, I sent the owner of the bike to get a reflector.
I just got home from vacation, will get back to work on the bike tomorrow.

what the doc said is my goto. I will do both if I cant match the pattern.
And if they are really weird shaped I do them out of shaped/polished polycarb with reflective tape glued to the back so they are the same

If you do not have to have reflectors in the teardrop, then consult a stained glass crafts person. They usually have a vast stock of materials to work with, that they can cut to any shape.

Latest posts

Back