Anybody sniffing BO 19 in the air?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"We can play a game where everyone keeps checking back frequently to see if the sub forum is open yet and I will just randomly switch it on between now and midnight
First perceptive person to drop their build thread wins. They will forever be immortalized as “the one” (which would also be an awesome name for a build)"

@Captain Awesome How do you sleep at night?!?!?

Sitting in the build off page like
Polish_20240430_203752909.jpg

I'm jumping in again this year. Back in March I drove up to a farm in Manistee, MI and bought a van full in a "buy it all or nothing sale".
received_778409987092840.jpeg

What really caught my eye was a prewar DX. Sadly, most of these were in pretty rough shape. A buddy is saving the 52 Western Flyer Super, another buddy saved an early 30s Hawthorne out of this batch, and my entry will be what's left of the DX.
IMG20240313223019.jpg

To be honest and forthright, I have the DX fully disassembled currently so I could ascertain if it was structurally sound and salvageable. I was able to save the frame, fork, tank possibly the front fender.
Luckily, Bowling Green and Monroe swaps are this week! Perfect timing.

I'm jumping in again this year. Back in March I drove up to a farm in Manistee, MI and bought a van full in a "buy it all or nothing sale".View attachment 263704
What really caught my eye was a prewar DX. Sadly, most of these were in pretty rough shape. A buddy is saving the 52 Western Flyer Super, another buddy saved an early 30s Hawthorne out of this batch, and my entry will be what's left of the DX.
View attachment 263705
To be honest and forthright, I have the DX fully disassembled currently so I could ascertain if it was structurally sound and salvageable. I was able to save the frame, fork, tank possibly the front fender.
I spy a Western Flyer Super also!

I'm jumping in again this year. Back in March I drove up to a farm in Manistee, MI and bought a van full in a "buy it all or nothing sale".View attachment 263704
View attachment 263705

Wicked haul right there! Looking forward to your build!

I have a frame in the shed, and a pair of wheels but no real vision of what to do with it yet…
Let me know if you need anything on your parts list. You did me a solid last year. I'd love to return the favor, if I'm able. 🙏

Wow! We already have some very interesting entries.

I have decided to hold off for now. I am in the middle of a few bike projects that I really need to finish. Although it is really hard to resist and I will probably enter something in a few weeks.

Yes I DO have a cunning plan! With everyone choosing to enter a "traditional" build, I will resurrect last years Crash And Burn entry (which was a DNF). I figure that if I am the ONLY entry, I am at least guaranteed a 3rd place finish! 🤪 😅

Last edited:
So I'd like to finish my tall bike and am wondering if it would be cool to enter it in the class 2 of this build-off. I built the frame in a previous build-off but didn't have time to do any more than that and a quick mock-up. I still need to build forks that fit, decide on a build style and parts, build it up for test ride, strip it back down for paint/finish and final build. It's just the frame right now.
1714587788669.png

Here's the previous build thread:
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/lets-get-on-it-aka-high-larious.118956/

So I'd like to finish my tall bike and am wondering if it would be cool to enter it in the class 2 of this build-off. I built the frame in a previous build-off but didn't have time to do any more than that and a quick mock-up. I still need to build forks that fit, decide on a build style and parts, build it up for test ride, strip it back down for paint/finish and final build. It's just the frame right now.
View attachment 263809
Here's the previous build thread:
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/lets-get-on-it-aka-high-larious.118956/
Tré Cool Thumb GIF by Green Day

I kinda like how the Traditional and Unlimitted builds are all in the same sub-forum this year. It should lend itself well for more cross-pollenation of views and comments.
23 total builds already!!

Back