Anybody sniffing BO 19 in the air?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'll think of sumptin by the morning.................it wont be pretty........
There's no need for pretty, except pretty ratty. 😉

Would it be alright if I entered an old Build Off bike in the current Build Off with a slight redesign? I had almost finished this Schwinn back in 2021, only for it to suffer a "rapid unscheduled disassembly" while I was test-riding it. It's been sitting in storage ever since, mostly broken-down, and I've had some new ideas for how to build it since then.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_RRBBO_glory_and_defeat_2.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_RRBBO_glory_and_defeat_5.jpg

This would be my starting point, if it would be allowed.
20240510_155447.jpg

Would it be alright if I entered an old Build Off bike in the current Build Off with a slight redesign? I had almost finished this Schwinn back in 2021, only for it to suffer a "rapid unscheduled disassembly" while I was test-riding it. It's been sitting in storage ever since, mostly broken-down, and I've had some new ideas for how to build it since then.
View attachment 265376View attachment 265377

This would be my starting point, if it would be allowed.
View attachment 265378
Are we talking significant redesign?

Are we talking significant redesign?

I guess it depends on what your definition of "significant" is. I know I want to see what this Schwinn DX would look like with my flipped Schwinn springer I have mocked up on the bike below.
BftD_xmas_schwinn_mockups_61223_6.jpg

As for other changes, I may use a pair of deep dish Monark fenders or a bobbed rear fender and none up front, a pair of older chrome wheels instead of the later aluminum ones I had on there before, some beefier whitewall tires or maybe a big/little tire combo, possibly a different set of handlebars, maybe a layback seat post, I might even use the white banana seat and mag chainring on the bike above, I'm not sure. The only things I know I don't want to change are the orange and white color scheme, the wood tank (that I still haven't finished painting,) and the white pedals I never installed. Pretty much everything else is up in the air until I can physically mock up some parts. Basically I want it to feel less like a mellow, casual cruiser, and more like a flashy custom hot rod.

I'm only thinking about entering this bike in another Build Off as I'm trying to finish all the bikes I've started but never finished, and this is the only custom bike on that list that I want to redesign and not just finish. It's actually the very first bike that got me into the hobby 6 years ago, so it's been waiting that long to be completed in any form (without immediately falling apart on the shakedown run, that is.). If it doesn't meet the qualifications for the Build Off, that's fine, I can just post updates in the last build thread I had going for it. I was just thinking of entering it to help me stay motivated to finally get it done.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what your definition of "significant" is. I know I want to see what this Schwinn DX would look like with my flipped Schwinn springer I have mocked up on the bike below.
View attachment 265386

As for other changes, I may use a pair of deep dish Monark fenders or a bobber rear fender and none up front, a pair of older chrome wheels instead of the later aluminum ones I had on there before, some beefier whitewall tires or maybe a big/little tire combo, possibly a different set of handlebars, maybe a layback seat post, I might even use the white banana seat and mag chainring on the bike above, I'm not sure. The only things I know I don't want to change are the orange and white color scheme, the wood tank (that I still haven't finished painting,) and the white pedals I never installed. Pretty much everything else is up in the air until I can physically mock up some parts. Basically I want it to feel less like a mellow, casual cruiser, and more like a flashy custom hot rod.

I'm only thinking about entering this bike in another Build Off as I'm trying to finish all the bikes I've started but never finished, and this is the only custom bike on that list that I want to redesign and not just finish. It's actually the very first bike that got me into the hobby 6 years ago, so it's been waiting that long to be completed in any form (without immediately falling apart on the shakedown run, that is.). If it doesn't meet the qualifications for the Build Off, that's fine, I can just post updates in the last build thread I had going for it. I was just thinking of entering it to help me stay motivated to finally get it done.
Good

To

Go

Good

To

Go
Cool. I'll try and mock up my ideas this week and see just how significant the changes will be. If it turns out I won't change much at all, I'll just stick to updating my last build thread, but if I wind up going with a complete redesign, then I'll toss my hat in the ring.

Always good to see you in a buildoff @Bike from the Dead , looking forward to the buildoff or 'build' thread.

There is so much happening in the buildoff, I can't keep up with all the updates.
How do moderators regulate all this? AI? ;)

heck ya, do it again. That's great that you've got a chance to enter it again.

gotta admit, seeing the builds this year is making me wanna join. Unfortunately, I need a bike like another hole in the head. I'm trying to get rid of 2 or 3, not build more.

heck ya, do it again. That's great that you've got a chance to enter it again.

gotta admit, seeing the builds this year is making me wanna join. Unfortunately, I need a bike like another hole in the head. I'm trying to get rid of 2 or 3, not build more.
I know that feeling. The problem is there’s already so many holes in my head it’s hard to notice one more. At least that’s what I tell myself.

Well, it looks like I won't be entering the Build Off after all, not with this bike anyway. I tried mocking up a few ideas today, but nothing was clicking. I had all these ideas and visions for how this bike would look, and just as I was ready to get started, my mind went blank. I think I need to change the name of this bike from Schwinn Dixie to Schwinndecisive because I can never make up my mind on how i want to build this bike. Doesn't help when all the parts are different colors.
20240514_192851.jpg
20240514_122544.jpg

Well, it looks like I won't be entering the Build Off after all, not with this bike anyway. I tried mocking up a few ideas today, but nothing was clicking. I had all these ideas and visions for how this bike would look, and just as I was ready to get started, my mind went blank. I think I need to change the name of this bike from Schwinn Dixie to Schwinndecisive because I can never make up my mind on how i want to build this bike. Doesn't help when all the parts are different colors.
View attachment 265595View attachment 265596

That second option looks great. Use a black and white photo edit to visualize it past the current state colors.
Love the Schwindecisive name too. Just play around with mockups and have fun. You'll eventually find something that speaks to you.

Back