anyone cut their regular sprocket to make a skiptooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whose made their own rear skiptooth sprockets, if you have post some pics and how they have held up?....mo in CA

doing the rear cog works fine get one with an even number of teeth and have at it. i would shy away from doing this to a front gear although i think it is reliable if you were to pound a bunch when riding i could see the gear wearing early

i've done a rear sprocket, works fine. have not done a front chain ring.

I bought a set of late model alloy wheels, I assume taiwan or chinese so I am not sure the mounting is going to be the same as what Memorylane offers. My rear sproket is only held on by a snap ring. Not the optimal way but it works. I have already taken it off and will lop them off tomorrow. I really wanted to hear if this had been done, with some success. Wish I could figure out how to post pics, it would open up a whole new world.....Thank guys for the encouragement to start grinding metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................Mo :)

I cut the crappy steel chainring on my bike to make a skiptooth (can't get all the wonderfull schwinns and so on in the UK let alone parts). Seems to have worked okay. I don't do an awful lot of heavy pounding so i think its okay. I'll let you know if i crunch the family jewels on the crossbar though... mind you, if I do, you'll probably hear the scream from all the way over there :mrgreen:

so you cut the front sprocket? wondering if you had the same thing happen as mine when i did this with the galt town hooligan. because the teeth are not just more narrow but also shorter when you go from brake to pedal the sprockets shifts slightly on the chain. i have not had any issues with this on mine though

i got a little 90s girl bike for my sis that was missing teeth on the front chain ring on purpose from the factory and its fine for riding even heavy pumpage up my gastly hill

Back