Anyone ever bought a NEW worksman?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive got a frame coming from chuckz already. the rest will be bought/built as I want it.

thanks for the offer though.

I got this one for sale now for a friend on CL...
My impression? Built like a tank and almost as heavy! However I can't see the potholes of Philly throwing it a curve.

wk1.jpg

Yeah, i saw your ad on craigslist, Cam. I love your disclaimer on all your ads...
"Note- Phishers and spammers don't even bother wasting your bandwidth, cause you'll be given the bum's rush." I can say from experience that PHilly can't do anything to a Worksman except maybe a flat tire.... or, of course, good ol' fashioned bike theft. :grin:

As for my personal experience, I live in the Midwest and have never been a BigBoy. There are really very few large people out here (We do not have the money for the extra food).
Seems like your real question is how can I get a strong enough bike to hold me.
Well............ One time in my life I had gained a lot of weight, Enough for me to feel uncomfortable and Not a lot of energy. I started riding a bike. Yes I ride a bike, Almost every day.
If you do the same, Put that bike where it is at Easy Access. You will not be that heavy ever again. Once you get hooked on actually riding a bike everywhere.
You will be Soooooooooooo Happy.
Find at least one other person who also actually rides their bike.

Do it don't talk about it. Be an American Minority like me (A Rider). Good Luck..

As for my personal experience, I live in the Midwest and have never been a BigBoy. There are really very few large people out here (We do not have the money for the extra food).
Well............ One time in my life I had gained a lot of weight, Enough for me to feel uncomfortable and Not a lot of energy. I started riding a bike. Yes I ride a bike, Almost every day.
If you do the same, Put that bike where it is at Easy Access. You will not be that heavy ever again. Once you get hooked on actually riding a bike everywhere.

Do it don't talk about it. Be an American Minority like me (A Rider). Good Luck..
Yeah, the guy in the OP already ordered a frame from Chuckz, so he's on his way to riding....:grin:

Who are you talking about or answering for? Who is this OP? I will take a wild guess that you mean Original Post. But that confuses me because this is still the same post or thread.
Just write the word, It is so much easier in communicating. Such as LBS. Maybe LBS is Little Boys Shop. or is OP Opie Taylor? BBS Big Boy Store.
Help some of us out here :headbang:

Who are you talking about or answering for? Who is this OP? I will take a wild guess that you mean Original Post. But that confuses me because this is still the same post or thread.
Just write the word, It is so much easier in communicating. Such as LBS. Maybe LBS is Little Boys Shop. or is OP Opie Taylor? BBS Big Boy Store.
Help some of us out here :headbang:
https://literacydirectory.org/
Good luck, "Honest"Herman.

I really like the idea of the Industrial Frames being used where they are needed. I had a trike that was a heavy duty one. The basket would hold extra weight and the frame was bullet proof. Sometimes very heavy, Not built for speed that's for sure.

yeah, i get it..... I'm a big dude, always have been. at 13 yrs old, i was 6' and 200 pounds..... a bit of a monster. when i was 18, i broke my knees... bed and food for 6 months... and i was suddenly 275..... years go by, got as big as 340..... I'm down around 310 now.... working on it..... walking etc..... I'm active, i walk MILES every day at work, I'm on my feet 10hrs a day (mechanic). i can't ride to work, as i need my truck for work etc. when I'm not working, I'm riding my dual sport (DR650).... theres a reason they say "pedal well"

this bike for me with be recreational, i live by a park that is a mile square, and my wife runs it a few times a week, ill ride while she runs. it'll be a cool bike for cruising the coast. it will not be for everyday all day transport..... it doesn't work for me.

glad it works for you.

im excited about the bike build....... i like a good reasonably low buck project. (good fun per dollar ratio)

Not too long ago, when i needed my truck for work, i'd throw a bike in the bed on Monday, and pedal home. I'd leave the truck at work all week, and ride back and forth Tuesday thru Thursday. On Friday at quittin' time, the bike'd go back in the bed and i'd drive home. Worked great for me, but I've switched things up job-wise, and i've been riding to work 6 days a week since September. That's been working great, too. I was 255 in September; this morning, the scale said 242. :showingbiceps:

But, obviously, different things work differently for different ppl. Riding the Worksman around the park will definitely be fun, and it'll probably be even more fun to build it. Just make sure you hold onto the headset stuff; the cups are a weird size and you'll probably wanna keep'm. Other than that, it takes all normal stuff (7/8" post, 110mm out back, 1" seatpost clamp, regular American BB, etc... even the fork is regular 1" 24tpi threaded, takes a 21.1mm stem and 100mm front hub), so yeah....all normal... an INB with BMX parts and fat tires is always a blast to ride.

Not too long ago, when i needed my truck for work, i'd throw a bike in the bed on Monday, and pedal home. I'd leave the truck at work all week, and ride back and forth Tuesday thru Thursday. On Friday at quittin' time, the bike'd go back in the bed and i'd drive home. Worked great for me, but I've switched things up job-wise, and i've been riding to work 6 days a week since September. That's been working great, too. I was 255 in September; this morning, the scale said 242. :showingbiceps:

But, obviously, different things work differently for different ppl. Riding the Worksman around the park will definitely be fun, and it'll probably be even more fun to build it. Just make sure you hold onto the headset stuff; the cups are a weird size and you'll probably wanna keep'm. Other than that, it takes all normal stuff (7/8" post, 110mm out back, 1" seatpost clamp, regular American BB, etc... even the fork is regular 1" 24tpi threaded, takes a 21.1mm stem and 100mm front hub), so yeah....all normal... an INB with BMX parts and fat tires is always a blast to ride.

yup.

im not sure what I'm doing with the headset, or fork for that matter, if i use stock fork, ill use stock headset, I've got some kinky ideas about tapered roller bearings like a motorcycle, and have a mill and a lathe to make whatever i need. just depends on how crazy i wanna get. last time i wanted a bike..... i made a frame from scratch, and its a GREAT cruiser, but the pedal position is too relaxed (feet forward) and it lacks swiftness. so it sits in my buddy's fab shop and he pedals it to the deli to get lunch.

Quick'n'dirty:
1-Bore the headtube out to 33.9mm.
2-Get these things:
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/headtube_reducers in the 1 1/8" to 1" flavor, and then
3-Get this headset:
http://www.interlocracing.com/headsets/roller-drive-threaded-headset
You could run that with a threaded Landing Gear fork, or any other fork with a 26.4 crown race, or you could run it with the stock Worksman fork or any other 27.0 fork if you buy this crown race:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/tange-passage-new-1-27-0mm-crown-race

Of course, if you're handy with fabbing stuff, the sky is the limit, but that'd be a fairly easy method using off-the-shelf stuff....

Last edited:
Back