anyone ever try to make a tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
im in the process of giving it a shot. i made a template out of thick cardboard. then cut enough templates out to glue them all together. now im going to sand it down to get the curves and make it a little smaller. then wrap it in fiberglass. sand then cover in polyester filler to get the final shape. its for a prewar schwinn hanging tank so being one piece will work fine. now i know its not going to be an exact replica but i think i can pull it off. i just about have the cardboard form made and its actually looking good. has anyone tried to make a replica tank and if so how did you do it. thanks

To avoid beating your head against the wall when it all goes down in flames.

Its cheaper and easier to just buy a tank.

Only my worthless opinion.

Another trick I learned was to build up polyurethane foam, the extruded kind, not the little balls, into the shape you want and then fiberglass over it. You then pour lacquer thinner into the tank and "melt" out the foam. The foam is really easy to shape and sand by hand and with basic hand tools. Don't try to make it thick or worry about small imperfections, as you can fix those later. Oh, and only use epoxy resin because the thinner can soften polyester resin. Does this make sense? I can explain better if it doesn't.

lots and lots....whats wrong with steel?
ohh and if youre lazy and need one made i may be able to try and schedule you in to make one. got a picture of the frame you want it for?
if you want to see some really old pictures of the ones ive done search PLAN 9 CUSTOMS :wink:

nope not lazy, i have an english wheel and a welder and have experience shaping metal, just thought this way would be easier. i thought about using foam but wasnt sure what the heat from the fiberglass resin would do to it. i guess nothing since others have done it that way, i just know that it gets really hot when its curing.

sensor are all your tanks flat with straight edges? im wanting mine curved with a rounded front. thats the main reason im using fiberglass and not metal. i just thought it would be easier to form than pounding out and rolling metal. i will try the fiberglass thing first since im already half way done. if it does go up in flames and i fail miserably i will try metal.i am in no means talking trash, your tanks are cool and the craftsmanship is topnotch, i just did a quick search and saw a couple of your tanks.

I have worked in wood and metal, though by no means a 'tank' maker; but I am really liking the idea of forming up a wood frame base and gluing/screwing up basswood panels (easy to shape and carve), then use 'marine epoxy' (the stuff mahogony boat builders/restorers use) to top coat it. It fills the pores and provides an excellent base for finishes and paints. It is one of the few products I have used that not only meets, but exceeds the manufacturers claims.

sloar....ive done about 5 that have had lots of crown....i just cant post pics of them w/o customer authorization since even though i made them they arent mine *IF ANY OF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TOSS A PICTURE OF THE RECENT STUFF IVE DONE UP PLEASE FEEL FREE TO! or even shoot me a pm and ill post the pics i sent!*....im hoping that i can maybe get a chance to do mine for the frame i built soon so if no one toss' a picture or 4 up ill post mine when i get a chance to make it....

those pictures/tanks were all from at least 3 years ago i think? when was build off 3?

heck if youve got an english wheel youre better off than i am...im still beating them out with a hammer and dollie and finding my highs/lows with a vixen file then hammering until theyre right :lol:
it takes some time but what else would i be doing? typing? :lol:

Latest posts

Back