Anyone hear about Tony Stewart?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tony's temper finally went too far...

No disrespect to the deceased but this is why you DO NOT walk onto a live racetrack. You take off your helmet and throw it at him. Much safer. As far as weather Stewart hit him on purpose or not I don't think he meant to kill him but he definitely intended to scare him running high on the track and he deliberately mashed the gas which in turn resulted in Ward's death so I believe Stewart IS 100% responsible and SHOULD be charged. Unfortunate such a young life was lost due to unsportsmanlike behavior.

I can't see him high lining by the video. I can see him step out of the throttle which makes it step out.
Tony will bear this cross the rest of his life, and probably pay for it as well.
State to state laws vary on involuntary manslaughter, plus it's up to the prosecution to charge, and carry the burden of proving it.

If you pause the video around 10-11 seconds you can see he had about another car width of space to avoid him. Being a NASCAR driver it will probably be swept under the rug but I have lost all respect for him and will refuse to buy anything from any sponsor of his.

A lot of people quick to judge on this. Yes, Tony has a temper, and was at least partially responsible for spinning Ward out on the previous lap by crowding him up the track (from the video, I'm not convinced they touched), BUT:

The kid exited his car and basically ran into moving traffic.

He was wearing a dark race suit/helmet on a night track.

He had just been passed and narrowly missed by the car in front of Stewart.

All of these cars have a wing on the right side that severely limits visibility.

Sprint cars are difficult to control at slow speeds.

Based on the conditions present, I would consider it a miracle if Ward DIDN'T get hit.

True, I've personally driven a sprint and visability sucks but it sounded like Stewart mashed the gas right before impact. Any sprint driver knows that the rear swings out when gassed. Especially someone with Stewart's expiriance. I do agree Ward should not have gone down into traffic though. Who knows what really went down hopefully some other spectators got a better angle view and can tell the real story.

I'm trying to figure out why he would get out on the track. It looks a bit dangerous. But I've never been to those types of races. How fast are those vehicles moving? Is it normal to just set out on foot? At least he had his helmet on, but it still seems like those inside their cars have the advantage.

I am sorry the man is dead, but if you decide to walk about on the interstate and a car hits you, you can't blame the driver when you get hit.

I am sorry the man is dead, but if you decide to walk about on the interstate and a car hits you, you can't blame the driver when you get hit.
That's why as my ex crew cheif told me you do not walk onto the track, you take off your helmet and throw it at the "race talk removed" Much safer. Which is why I'm no longer a sprint driver. I got a lucky shot my third and last race after being spun in much the same way but my car landed on its side. I threw my helmet and through sheer luck hit the driver with my helmet. Luckily no serious injury occuced and I later apologized to him but I decided to get out of sprints and went to modified totaled a car and that was the end of racing for me.

A moment a silence for that young man. As a fan of the sport. Most drivers are alpha and this blindness of proving he's point to Smoke cost him. Sprint Cars drivers have family's. To think a fellow driver would do that intentionally is hard to believe.

That's why as my ex crew cheif told me you do not walk onto the track, you take off your helmet and throw it at the "race talk removed" Much safer.
Hmm. :39:
I'm not sure how any form of retaliation is acceptable. How is throwing a helmet any different than throwing a brick? Maybe it would be ok if every team agreed to retaliate with guns at the track (if they did it in a safe way), like only shooting out your opponents tires if they spin you out!

If the driver would have stayed in his car, he would have lived to race again and maybe made his point by winning the next race. I believe that both of their tempers caused this accident to happen unnecessarily.

Actually, the 3 link rear ends do well to allow the car near straight line acceleration. But when the throttle is chopped they pitch the rear out right, drift automatically!
Watch the vids, no mud flies, and the nose of the car does not lift, he let off and it stepped out.
Pretty sure Kenny Ward Jr. paid for his temper, let alone Tony's. Also I believe NASCAR had told Kenny to get more experience and come back.
Unless you are on fire you do not exit a car on the track.

Hmm. :39:
I'm not sure how any form of retaliation is acceptable. How is throwing a helmet any different than throwing a brick? Maybe it would be ok if every team agreed to retaliate with guns at the track (if they did it in a safe way), like only shooting out your opponents tires if they spin you out!

If the driver would have stayed in his car, he would have lived to race again and maybe made his point by winning the next race. I believe that both of their tempers caused this accident to happen unnecessarily.

It is not acceptable, my crew chief said it jokingly but in the heat of the moment you don't really think like you should. A race driver will never say "I messed up". He will blame another driver, the car, the conditions, the sun was in his eyes, or any number of excuses. Only the truly great drivers will admit to a driver error. and I agree entirely that BOTH tempers caused this accident. Most race drivers have an ego a mile wide and can't stand being anything but number one.

IMO this is not Tony's fault. This kid made a stupid mistake. Under NO circumstances (except for fire) should you be entering the track on foot while cars are still rolling by! As you can see in the video, the car in front almost hit Ward Jr. too! Now why on earth would you think it's a good idea to go out on an active track, at night, while cars are still moving?
I really hope Tony doesn't get charged because this kid was ignorant.

I just talked to a friend of mine who has been into dirt track racing of all types for many years, and has been running a track for a few years. He said it was 100% the kids fault. Darn shame.

Back