Anyone know what his early girls bike is?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up at a local auction, and am going to sell it, as it's a shame to take apart for parts. I have no idea who made it and am just looking for some info. The only numbers I could find is "637446". I believe it's from the teens, but not sure. ANY help would be great! Thanks in advance!

DSCN0265_zps4f23d3fc.jpg

It's an English bike probably, but might be Dutch also. The rear hub shell may have the name "Sturmey Archer" on the shell with a 2 digit date of manufacture also. Or it may have been this bike! :lol:

tzel2.jpg

Definitely looks European. I believe this style was made overseas well into the 60's.

Thanks for the help so far guys! I know the seat was a brooks. The chain guard wraps around the entire chain which is neat. The rear hub is a new depaurture, and has hand brakes for the front, and a coaster for the rear. Any idea what this thing might be worth?

05tbowner said:
Thanks for the help so far guys! I know the seat was a brooks. The chain guard wraps around the entire chain which is neat. The rear hub is a new depaurture, and has hand brakes for the front, and a coaster for the rear. Any idea what this thing might be worth?

Post a pic of the rear brake arm to help pin down a date. Not sure on the value. I had a similar women's bike with an early 3 speed SA drum brake a couple years back and got $100 for it after having it sit for quite a while.

Looks very similar to one I have had fora while,I cant recall the maker off the top of my head,but I can check. Mine had Perry hubs rather than ND and no rod brakes(and mine was missing the chainguard). Other than that it looks pretty dern close.I will look at the bike later and find out the name.Cool bike,as far as value...not a whole lot.Mine ended up being more valuable to me as a parts bike for a custom mens frame I build.
-Kreep-

001-9.jpg

It could be Japanese. I recently found one that looks similar and with the help of folks here, I found out that it is 60's Japanese.
Here is the link to my post.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67008
RatSphinx found some links to info on Older Japanese bikes, check them out.
I did a patina resto on it and here are the few pics to compare to yours. The cranks, chainring look like mine
ES32.jpg

ES3.jpg

English almost certainly...
The coaster wheel is almost definately a later addition. We didn't go for coasters much over here... most still don't! Still has front and rear rod brake levers on the bars. Looks Raleigh-ish to me which would make it around 1920 age wise, which fits by the frame style and so on. I've got that rear rack which I recon is 1920's so again possibly about right. Nice bike though. If you gan get the inspection cover off the chainguard, the chainwheel will give the manufacturer away, if there's no other clues.

Back